UK wide - John O'Groat to Lands End, 12th May 2009

BVS Events area, want to meet up with fellow EV'ers then this is the place to post. Please follow the guidelines if you are starting a topic here.
ChrisB

UK wide - John O'Groat to Lands End, 12th May 2009

Postby ChrisB » Fri May 08, 2009 8:09 pm

This event is now back for the 3rd time for Terry and the crew, with new batteries and extra chargers. and hopefully good weather

BVS member Terry Harding will be taking to the Road to ride his Oxygene Electric Scooter, that runs on nickle zinc batteries, from John O'Groats to Lands End totally under battery power.

He will have our very own John Crayton as backup who will be carrying a generator to allow Terry to recharge on route, they hope to complete the journey in about 7 to 10 days.

Terrys scooter can run for up to 30miles before requiring a recharge and can be recharged in just a few hours so they are hoping to get a good 100+ miles in per day, but weather and driving conditions and break downs could hamper this figure.

I will post up the route and if you think he will be near you feel free to offer some support or just wave him on as he whizzes past.

Hopefully I'll have a map up soon and be able to plot his course as he goes and give upto date info of his location.

Well if anyone wants to meet Terry and chat about his huge journey which starts in just a few days time. Well you'll be able to see him at the Detling Kit Car show in Kent (details in the events section)

Right well heres a few publicity shots of Terry and his Oxgen scooter

You can see how he got on last time HERE

Good luck Terry

This is a rough guide to Terry's route, the RED section still needs to be done, I'll be updating as per last time when I get reports from the team, if you want to see Terry in person to wave at or just to help out with a charge etc and he's travelling near where you live then give us a shout here and hopefully we can get the info to him.

ChrisB
Last edited by ChrisB on Thu May 14, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat May 09, 2009 8:49 am

Good luck Terry, hope you make it this time.

If not then don't give up, perhaps next time try a different vehicle? I'd be happy to let you try ours when it's finished. Nearly there now :)

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu May 14, 2009 7:24 am

Well having not heard a peep out of the crew all week I was begining to wonder if things had gone a bit pear shaped again........
BUT got a message this morning saying they are in Inverness :shock:

Map updated ...

Cant help thinking they will be back by the weekend at this rate 8)

Apprently the weathers rather good up there currently and they are making good progress.

More updates as and when I get them

ChrisB

qdos

Postby qdos » Thu May 14, 2009 8:10 am

Wooooohhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Image

Go Terry Go !!!!!!!

Calm down still a long way to go but FANTASTIC! I hope them breaking the news is not going to jinx things and this time they achieve it

MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Thu May 14, 2009 8:31 am

Yes, apparently they decided to do the trip in reverse as the weather was better up north.

Good luck to them! :D

Mary.
BVS North-West Coordinator, based in Manchester.
Contact via Text/Phone on 07751 696 055

qdos

Postby qdos » Thu May 14, 2009 8:39 am

SaintMaryUK wrote:Yes, apparently they decided to do the trip in reverse as the weather was better up north.

Mary.

Errrr hold on now, does this mean they are doing the trip North to South this time or are they driving backwards ? Chris said it was Land's End to John O'Groates Pretty fundamental question here. Which direction are they heading in ?

Still hoping they do it this time. I do hope Chris is the one who's right on the interpretation of the journey. :?

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu May 14, 2009 12:40 pm

SaintMaryUK wrote:Yes, apparently they decided to do the trip in reverse as the weather was better up north.

Mary.

Eh WHAT ?? are you joking :? I havent been told thats whats happening ??

ChrisB

MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Thu May 14, 2009 2:29 pm

Yeah, apparently so. :!:

At lunchtime I heard from John and Terry that they were charging up near Kinlochleven (about 80 miles from Glasgow apparently). And they were hoping to cross the border into England by the end of today.

I think John will update you/me tonight Chris.

Mary.
BVS North-West Coordinator, based in Manchester.
Contact via Text/Phone on 07751 696 055

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu May 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Ah , right I have re-read the message I got this morning and John does say they started the other way, trouble was cos I hadnt heard any thing and had assumed they started the normal way, classic case of speed reading early in the morning before going to work :oops:

Right have "adjusted" the title and now the map works backwards i.e the red bit still needs to be done :wink:

ChrisB

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon May 18, 2009 9:10 pm

Well after days of silence apprently due to tech problems, I have finally heard from the intrepid duo...........and they are now at Exeter :shock:

So it looks like they will do the whole trip this time 8)

Terry said with luck they will make Lands End in the next couple of days 8)

The blue line on the map has been updated on the map accordingly ..

ChrisB

Return to “Events”