ELECTROTHON 2009

BVS Events area, want to meet up with fellow EV'ers then this is the place to post. Please follow the guidelines if you are starting a topic here.
qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:09 am

I have spoken with the owners of a superb kart track (many F1 drivers have used it on their way up to F1) which is occasionally used by GreenPower and they are happy to do a deal if I let them have detailed proposals. Obviously it's not central England but it's not far from the previous Electrathon location

Stuart has said several times on the forum here he's got a couple of locations that could be used. What we need is someone who WILL organise and coordinate the whole thing, rather than just talk about it which is the usual BVS way. John Lilly used to organise the Electrathons pretty much single handedly, but I don't think he's particularly inclined to now and I'm happily getting on with other things too, but would be happy to give moral support and assistance here and there.

So Ed as you're pretty positive and proactive how about taking things up a level. Happy to speak with you on the phone any time.....

ex925

BVS Electrathon 2009

Postby ex925 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:12 pm

See? I've stopped putting things like question marks, and "Potential" or "Possible next to "BVS Electrathon 2009" in the title.....
I'm hooked, (for me sins)
Yes, I kinda became enchanted by the irresistible logic, dulcet tones, and positive thinking from Mary and Paul, and agreed to have a go at actually doing a little.
Next thing, I'm nominated for the Competition / Events Contact person post, and from the minutes of the last committee meeting, it looks like I will be "it" pretty soon.

So, where my "gentle prodding" has got so far is this.....
1 Lots of constructive discussion on exactly how to fireproof the BVS - (as much as is practically possible in the real world) - from predatory litigation.
2 Already a good level of response from other members sugesting suitable potential venues.
3 As of last night, a good (simple, largely proven, and likely to be fun) draft set of rules
3.1 (meaning - I hope to have learned something - from what has worked in the past)
4 At least two, possibly as many as four promising venues to explore
5 I have entered the "Tour De Presteigne" on May 9th/10th, 2009, where I also hope to learn some useful ways to run a successful EV event
6 My next step is to post a first draft of rules here
7 Soon after that I hope to have some more information about venues

Comments, please...
Many thanks,
All the best,
Ed.

stuart mills

Postby stuart mills » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:54 pm

Thats great news, hard work but we all appreciate it, I hope it's a success and the first of many. I also spoke to the owners at Shakespeare County Raceway and they seemed very happy for us to use their facility one weekend for a donation.

ex925

Ed's 1st attempt at draft rules (!!?) BVS Electrathon 2009

Postby ex925 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:56 pm

EG 230309

Ed. Gordon’s first attempt at a draft set of rules for a BVS Electrathon2009

1 “Self-Assessed-Handicapâ€Â

EVan

Postby EVan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:19 pm

Sounds good!
What classes of vehicles are you suggesting?

If it will take place on the time and place mentioned, count me in.

ex925

Vehicle Cllasses for BVS Electrathon 2009, by Ed. in Plymout

Postby ex925 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:12 pm

I was hoping we could all bring whatever we had, and maybe the "Hilarious-Handicapping" would show the varying virtues of all the individual machines, whether home-brewed, factory pre-production prototype, or ready-made.

My initial selfish idea was some kind of circuit-race, but I soon realised it would be much better to be inclusive. When Paul suggested the idea of a self-assessed handicap, it was immediately obvious how much better that idea was, as it seems to me to allow the possible opportunity to compare and contrast widely different design approaches to low-carbon transport.

Racing in the form of wheel to wheel dicing round a circuit might be a potentially riveting gladiatorial spectacle, but even I think it would interest only a few people, and not greatly increase the sum of knowledge UNLESS we had something rather like a one-design class, (cue Greenpower...)

Also, "REAL RACING!!" of any kind whatsoever brings huge increases in responsibility, restrictions, effort, and costs, particularly for insurance. By contrast, I hope we can have a rolling riot of a day out, on a shoestring, in genuine safety, and everyone participating in any way have a memorable sense of achievement, satisfaction, and enjoyment.

Since BVS members seem to me to comprise a marvellous mix of motivation, individuality, ingenuity, lateral-thinking, and sheer out-of-the-blue genius, Paul's idea of an open handicap just fit so well as an evolution of what John Lilly and predecessors sought to achieve that I was instantly enthused. If we all chip in with ideas and refinements, we could well achieve something so different yet complimentary to the Greenpower events that it could be both catalytic and yet an ideal contrast. At its best, there could even be some sort of "critical-mass" effect from each group's contribution resulting in a combined event so much greater than the sum of its parts as to create an iconic showcase for the cause..........

(OR IS IT TIME FOR MY MEDICINE - AGAIN..... Ed)

Can't wait to see what happens next, meanwhile, I will try to compile a list of potential venues, and risk my guess at the virtues of each.
HOWEVER....
The real information would perhaps emerge if everyone put up a post on their favourite circuit or track, and why it is good. Costs, (including what kind of insurance cover was on offer, and how much), availability, geographical location, facilities, and something like "What is the extra factor?" to sway us all?

What does everyone think,
All the best,
Ed.

EVan

Postby EVan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:34 pm

That sounds ideal, I was hoping it was "run what you've got", and I agree actual racing would be too ambitious and largely pointless anyway. That said, I'm sure there's going to be an element of comparing lap times between similar vehicles!

Venue-wise the bedford location is about as far south as I'm prepared to go, personally.

Keep up the good work!

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:01 am

Excellent Ed !!!!!!!!!!! Image

From past experiences at Electrathons I can say that you will findthe range of machines so disparate that you can't really have them competing on a level pitch as they are generally not at all similar. What was always fun was seeing such a range of completely different vehicles all together running on a track. the main challenge was always to see if they could actually complete the course!!! many a sophisticated machine has failed that one just ask Paul ;)

As far as racing them I think Stuart and I would be happy to see something develop on those lines as we've both got some machines that could be used for a series and would love to see folk enjoying them. Re GreenPower well that already exists and I've taken part in this before so there's no point reinventing the wheel on that and we ought to simply encourage entries into that via the Corporate Challenge. I certainly can recommend it :)

Well done Ed thanks for stepping up to the plate it's good to have you doing it I certainly approve of your roll That's one position on the BVS committee that gets my vote for sure.

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:31 am

Are PHEV hybrids allowed? :wink:
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:16 am

They have been in the past Kate and Nikki took their Prius round several times but keeping it in electric mode was not easy (Especially for Nikki ;) )

Return to “Events”