Drive Electric Day - Sat 4th Oct - National

BVS Events area, want to meet up with fellow EV'ers then this is the place to post. Please follow the guidelines if you are starting a topic here.
qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:43 am

ex925 wrote:Would anyone object if I managed to copy the BVS Logo and displayed it on the MkII Junkyard Dog on Saturday, in hope of people looking it up on the internet ?

All the Best, from Ed. in Plymouth.

Errr sorry but we've had a bit of a chat about this elsewhere and the consensus was that the logo should not be copied to anything that is not fully approved by the BVS So I'd say the car stickers are fine but don't go using it on any printed matter etc.

Sorry, We've all thought about using it but it invites too much abuse to say yes to. That was the general consensus Mary should know this, as I recall she was part of the conversation

Joe T

Postby Joe T » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:12 am

Does the club sell stickers? :oops: sorry to ask such a dumb question but reading this I am assuming it doesnt.
The cost of a batch of stickers would not cost that much and most clubs turn a small profit from them.
Some companies do a club pack
Tax Disk holders
Several Style Stickers
Pin Badge
Etc

:idea: Online shop, Paypal, Job done

MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:29 am

Um, it was my understanding that Ed was only asking to do what you yourself have said is ok Kelvin: to put a label/sticker on his vehicle, for Drive Electric Day.

Please correct me if I was wrong about your intentions Ed.

My response was, I think, to a request to display the logo on a vehicle during a BVS supported event. That is something members have been allowed to do, with permission, for a long time. Several members have plastic stickers, magnetic stickers/labels etc that are used for just that purpose.

I should perhaps emphasise that I was not suggesting that any further use of the logo is ok, as I do of course recall that at committee meetings we have been very clear about the logo not being used for anything that might lead to commercial gain, or might imply that the BVS backed a member's private project. So of course using it on printed matter, like letters etc, is not acceptable.

I also said that permission should be sought first, even though I had in fact spoken to John Crayton about it already, and I sent Ed a private message with telephone numbers for the Chair and the two Vice Chairs.

Hope that clarifies things a little Kelvin. Perhaps I hadn't expressed myself clearly enough.

Mary.
BVS North-West Coordinator, based in Manchester.
Contact via Text/Phone on 07751 696 055

MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:35 am

Joe T wrote:Does the club sell stickers? :oops: sorry to ask such a dumb question but reading this I am assuming it doesnt.
The cost of a batch of stickers would not cost that much and most clubs turn a small profit from them.

Hi Joe,

thanks for the qestion.

The current Treasurer, Neil, has a few items in stock, but not stickers at the moment I don't think. We have been looking at setting up an online shop, and I have been doing some work on this, but as I only have limited time available after performing my secretarial and regional duties, it is taking me a while!

Mary
BVS North-West Coordinator, based in Manchester.
Contact via Text/Phone on 07751 696 055

qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:00 am

Stickers and magnetic roundals have been around for a while and I think there are some about spare but I believe they have the wrong phone number on them.

Mary had set up an online 'shop' quite some time back which had brought the logo thing back into the fore as an issue, particularly as the committee had not been made aware of this till after the event. What the BVS are trying to avoid is that people and companies basically start abusing the logo by implying they are backed by the BVS. Now most of this is not something that members do and indeed we all love to sing about electric vehicles which is great but logos can be misused and this is where the debate has been and it was decided for the time being that The BVS would not encourage all and sundry to start putting the logo on just anything they fancy.

Sorry but that's how it is with committees etc and I'm sure you can understand the why's and wherefores we are all keen to spread the word so for the moment either do it quietly and discreetly or get an official sticker and stick it on a whopping big flag and wave that about :wink:

ex925

Promoting the BVS on a TWEV on Drive Electric Day

Postby ex925 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:34 pm

Just to clarify what I had hoped to do: To stick an approx. 2" circle copy of the BVS logo with the current website on the front of my Junkyard Dog MkII while I go out to show the flag for an hour on Drive Electric Day, in the hope that onlookers look up the BVS on the internet and maybe join us...... Ed.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:31 pm

Ed I'm sure that will be fine, as you say your only trying to promote the site/club.

We really should look at making some downloadable material for the members to use :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

ex925

Drive Electric Day08 wet, and weird. From Ed. in Plymouth

Postby ex925 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi, guys, hope all went well for you on Drive Electric Day 2008. Mine was wet, but good, but ended in a bit of a puzzle. Any advice would be appreciated.

On Friday 031008, I had sprayed half a can of ignition-sealant over all the electric components. I had then tested the bike by watering it with a hose-nozzle set on 'soak'. I then rode 10 miles on it. No apparent ill-effects showed up.

On Saturday 041008, I was at my half-way point, 8 miles from home. I had been through two VERY heavy showers, and expected to reach home again without any trouble. After meeting up for lunch at Captain Jasper's with my better half, and Lucy, our Jack Russel, I set off on the return leg.

Thus far, I would have expected to have 15 to 18 miles remaining before needing to use lower gears, but within 4 miles, signs of vehicle energy supply fatigue were showing up. Normally, because the batteries are sold for golf trolleys, with much made about the ability to withstand 75-80% D.o.D., I have been able to let the volts run down to 20.5 on load and 22.2 to 22.5 free with good remaining performance and no apparent adverse after-effect. I have done this maybe twenty times, so far, in the four months I have been using this rig regularly, including Sparkford and Anglesey and some serious range and re-charge test-runs.

Yesterday, I ran out of power after another 2 miles, particularly so in the last mile, total less than 15 miles in all. Normal range up to now has been 22 to 26 miles, with use of low gears and reduced speed needed at the last 3-6 miles, depending on gradient.

What puzzles me is that the volts descended only as far as 21.0 under load and 23.7 free, yet there was not even enough power remaining to roll the machine forward without me. My best guess is that some moisture may have entered the controller. The batteries showed 12.3v. and 12.0v., respectively immediately on disconnection at the roadside.

If anyone has any views on what may be the problem, I would be grateful to learn.
Meantime, I'm looking forward to reading how others fared on Drive Electric Day, 2008.
All the best, from Ed. Gordon

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:04 pm

Well as normal I was out and about in my van doing stuff, infact I was flat by 11.30 :lol: so had a top up before going out again at 3pm for another little run, but then thats a normal weekend of me :lol:

Must admit if this is going to be a yearly event we do need to make sure we start advertising it a bit more than 4 days in advance :?

As for your issues Ed , could be due to the rain causing more rolling resistance, certainly I find with the van wet weather causes me to loose anything up to 5+ miles on my range :shock: I dont know what sort of vehicle your using but that might have been some of the problem ?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Postby qdos » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:18 pm

Rain certainly makes a difference. Your tyres are basically pumping gallons of water out of the tread every minute in wet conditions and this takes energy to do.

Simple practical example which anyone who can drive can do is to drive at say 50 mph through an inch of water (ie a decent puddle) You'll feel the car pull to the side the puddle is and slow down quite markedly that's because the tyres are having to move a LOT of water out of the way.

In addition to this usually you have lights wipers and demisters on in the rain so using more energy there too though I don't think you've got them on your bike do you Ed ?

(WARNING: Be sure you have good amount of tread on your tyres if you try the above as you could aquaplane if you have insufficient tread)

Return to “Events”