Drive Electric Day - Sat 4th Oct - National

BVS Events area, want to meet up with fellow EV'ers then this is the place to post. Please follow the guidelines if you are starting a topic here.
MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Drive Electric Day - Sat 4th Oct - National

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:43 pm

As you may have seen mentioned elsewhere, the north-west group are planning to get out on the road this Saturday 4th October in their electric vehicles, and we are inviting everyone all across the country and regions to join in, whether you are involved with a local BVS group or not.

You can join in wherever you are by just driving around the block, or to the shops and back, between 11.30am and 12 noon, wherever you happen to live!
Or get in touch with your local area contact and see if you can meet up with them, or anyone else local to you, and go for a drive out somewhere together.

Details of the national event can be found here:

http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk ... ess/?p=450

An email or comment here to let me know what you are planning, so I can tally up how many vehicles we got on the road simultaneously, would be great. Or comment in the Drive Electric day community at:

www.DriveElectricDay.org

It would be lovely if people could also post to the community there, to say what and where they will be driving, so that the public can see how many different vehicles are out there. We are starting small, but are hoping this will be an annual event that grows each year!

Have fun!

Mary.
BVS North-West Coordinator, based in Manchester.
Contact via Text/Phone on 07751 696 055

ex925

Drive Electric Day, 2008 - from Ed. in Plymouth, Devon.

Postby ex925 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:51 am

I will get out there, at that time, show the flag, see if I can get from Woolwell (PL6 7HP) to city centre, (PL1...), round town a little, and back, on one charge. Managed town centre (Sutton Harbour) and back (23.6 miles) on the Mk.I Junkyard Dog back in August. I walked alongside for 1 mile on the last steep hill en route back. By the time I reached home, I had 10mph max. on the level, in bottom gear, and down to 20v. showing, under load.

More recently I tried a similar run on the Mk.II Lowrider, but had to be collected from 2 miles short of home as I had used the range going further round town.

Both use the 24v./2x12v./22ah-SLA set-up, but Mk.Two hopefully has less CDa due to 16inch high seat and 20inch wheels.

Just acquired a complete 36v. kit from a Chinese scooter, so, a Mk.III will be next.....

All the best, from Ed. Gordon in Plymouth, Devon.
PS
Is there a BVS logo I could download to put on the MkII for Drive Electric Day, and if so, where and how best to do it?

clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:04 pm

Just to say that we will be out in our Elcat in the Bodmin area at the designated time.

Jan and Colin
Proven 6kW Wind Turbine
3.8 kW Solar PV

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:38 pm

I'll be out at that time as well in the Berlingo................then again I'm always out in the berlingo :lol: dont really drive anything else 8)

Bit confused Mary with the whole drive electric.org thing though :? surely it would be better for folks to post here wouldnt it ??? just seems yet another site folks will have to join ? sort of starts to fragment the whole thing dosnt it :?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Postby qdos » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:54 am

I have to say I'm thinking the same Chris I don't really see the point of starting up another site. As you're even the BVS secretary and have access to the forum and the main site I'm wondering why you set up this new one Mary?

ex925

Drive Electric Day, from Ed. Gordon in Plymouth, Devon

Postby ex925 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re "Drive Electric", and why start another site.
I wondered at first, then remembered that friends of mine had assumed the Battery Vehicle Society sticker on my car meant battery MODEL cars.....

Mary, did you start the site to catch the attention of those who might otherwise have dismissed the idea, the wider public as it were, perhaps ?
If so, it's working, a complete petrol-head mate of mine spotted it and phoned me to ask me what it was about this morning. Then when he finally got it, he made all the standard "long mains lead" jokes into the bargain!
But, at least he is talking about the idea, so maybe it works?
All the best, from Ed.

MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:37 am

Thank you Ed. Yes, that's exactly it :-)

I came up with the idea of the day, as a yearly event, and as something I wanted the whole country to support. I would like to see it become bigger and bigger each year, and, naturally, to be an event supported by the BVS, as a way to raise our profile. But as you say, I wanted to reach a wider audience.

I had already planned to have a small road-trip with the north-west members that day, and, because I am a member of the BVS, I would love it if all our members got involved.

So yes, fab though this forum is, I wanted to reach a wider audience, to catch people's attention beyon this forum. And, as you say, it seems to be working!

Thanks again Ed,

Mary.

ex925

Drive Electric Day, BVS Logo

Postby ex925 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:34 pm

Would anyone object if I managed to copy the BVS Logo and displayed it on the MkII Junkyard Dog on Saturday, in hope of people looking it up on the internet ?

All the Best, from Ed. in Plymouth.

MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:51 pm

For myself, I have no objection to you displaying our logo in/on your vehicle at any event which is supported by the BVS.

It is my understanding that the committee have no problem with people displaying the logo on their vehicles, as a way to promote the BVS, provided they have sought permission first.

And I have just spoken to one of the Vice Chairs, John Crayton, and he confirms this. John said that the committee are happy in general for members to use the logo provided it is purely for non-commercial purposes.

Thanks for supporting the event and spreading the word.

Mary.

MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Drive Electric Day supported by major museum!

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:05 pm

I have metioned this over in the north-west event post already, but I thought I should mention it here too, in case anyone wants to encourage a museum in their local area to follow suit.

A Manchester museum is supporting the day by mentioning it on the front page of their website, offering free parking to any electric vehicle for the day, and they have posted to the online community I set up.

If you want to read what they said, their post is here:
http://community.livejournal.com/drive_ ... /1204.html

And the front page of their website, where they mention the day, is here:
http://www.mosi.org.uk/

Mary.

Return to “Events”