Introduction from LifeBATT UK Distributor

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
ChopperMan

Independent Testing of LiFeBATT cells?

Postby ChopperMan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:55 am

Hi All,

In early December we will be delivering our first lot of cells and packs.

I will also have a number of cells and packs for testing. Although our cells are undergoing independent testing in the US, by an number of institutions, I would like to do the same here in the UK.

And this is the point of my post, I would like to ask the community who they feel would be the best people to do this. I am looking for a person or instituion who has a proven track record for fair and accurate testing, someone who's word is respected and are able to make their results publically know.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ian

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:56 am

Id think a good place to start might be by giving Denis Doerffel @ reap systems a shout and see where he stands
http://www.reapsystems.co.uk/

He is although quite heavely involved with Thundersky Li-ions but hes well respected with his views etc on li-ion cells

Hes a member on here as well but hasnt posted todate.

I'd love to be able to try a big set in my Blingo but just cant justify that sort of money currently :cry:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

stefan72

LifeBatt

Postby stefan72 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:18 pm

Hi Ian,
I've been reading with interest your post and had a look at your website.
As an interested buyer of an EV I am a little bit confused by now, which Li-Ion battery is best on the market. Everyone says they have the best! The same as when you buy any other goods...The good thing is though that LifeBatt is giving out a 3 year warranty. That makes it possible to make a better cost/mile calculation.
I run a website (forum) for eco-friendly cars includig EV's. If you like you can mention your new venture there as well. In any case: Good luck with it and I hope to more EV's on the road soon!

ChopperMan

Postby ChopperMan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:10 pm

Hi ChrisB,

I was thinking more along the lines of a University or other independent non-commercial institution, but looking at REAP's website, they do appear to be very reputable and have considerable lithium battery experience.

Attached below is a Lifebatt Initial Capacity Test, one of a series being conducted at Sandia National Labs Power Sources Development Dept. New Mexico.

Sandia's full report will be available on line at their website on a month or two, when cycle testing is complete.

Cheers,

Ian

ChopperMan

Postby ChopperMan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:15 pm

Hi stefan72,

Yes, we are unique in the market, no one else offers anything like our garuntee. 3years or 1,500 cycles, whichever the sooner. We are able to do this because we supply not only the cells, but a complete battery pack with BMS and charger. Our chargers, depending on packs size are 1C, i.e. one hour chargers. If there is sufficent input current, our 'Speedy' chargers can charger a pack from flat to full in 20 mins (3C) without damage or loss of cycle life.

Sorry, starting to sound like a salesman. I'm just excited about our product and can't help going on about it.

I checked out your forum, you have some good ideas, I hope this goes well you and I have bookmarked it.

Many thanks,

Ian

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:22 pm

Dennis actually started his whole investigation from memory at Southampton Uni :wink: I think then he turned it into a bussiness from what he gained from uni.

So with your BMS, does it cover the cells from abuse then i.e over discharge voltage and current ? and in what form does it do this if it does.

ChrisB

ChopperMan

Postby ChopperMan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:41 pm

The factory guys call it a VMS, voltage managment system. In conjunction with the charger, is ensures all cells are balanced during charge phase and then stops power flow during discharge when any one cell reaches 2.4V.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:48 pm

Ah I see, pretty much as a BMS would do then, just its called a VMS :wink:

ChrisB

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:22 pm

Ian , I've just been doing some rumaging and have found these guys
http://globaltrade-uk.com/lifebat.html
anything to do with you guys ??? or a different set up?

Quite an interesting site if you look about it as they appear to be bringing in some electric quadracycles
http://www.attention-all-car-dealers.co ... rspec.html

ChrisB

ChopperMan

Postby ChopperMan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:47 pm

NO, they are nothing to do with LiFeBATT !!!!!

This appears to be an importer of Chinese LiFePO4 cells.

My own experience of CHinese LiFePO4 batteries has been very expensive and disappointing. I have over £3,000 worth sitting under my work brench that were either DOA, or failed within a few weeks of testing. Only one out of the 8 packs, from four different vendors, has lasted long enough to make it into one of my ebikes. I have never been able to succesfully claim on the delivery insurance, because the exporter 'forgot' to pay the premium, or get my money back.

This was part of my market research, from June to Sept 07, before I became involved in LiFeBATT.
Electric chopper ebike with PUMA motor (1.2kW) and 36V 20Ah LiFePO4 batteries. 23 mph & 20 mile range with no peddling (Sorry, what are peddles for?).

Return to “All things battery related”