Old BMS Software Thread

Threads relating to the BMS system begun by Peter Perkins

Moderators: GregsGarage, retepsnikrep

glyndwr1998

Re: Old BMS Software Thread

Postby glyndwr1998 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the reply.

The switch I have a a single push button, it has 3 wires coming off the small pcb (about 1" square) that the switch is mounted to along with resistors.
On videos I have viewed on YouTube from Peter Perkins YouTube site, I see the master pcb and the J9 connector on the pcb, and it looks as if the wires are located in pin 1 6 and 8 on the connector on the pcb, the video isn't the greatest quality so it's not definate, but pin 1 and pin 8 are, pin 6 could be pin7 the def in video isn't good enough to image it out perfectly.

On the videos I can see the screen but not the switch when he is accessing the menus, but no other equipment is plugged into the master pcb, so it must be accessed all by the switch.

I can't find any read me doc or instruction how to wire switch and use the command functions to test.
At the moment it's all on my bench, wanted to learn how to use it before I installed it into my system.

On the switch pcb there are only 3 pins, pin 1 2 and 3, Greg has used different colour cables to Peter too so can't tie up info there either.
I'm sure it's quite straight forward when all set up correctly.
Any info on how the commands work though is greatly appreciated.
I have tried the switch, can toggle through to 3 menu screens but can't seem to access the menu, ie, in one menu sub menu 2
Cell voltage = U
Slave update = L
Mum of cells = D
Temp rom = R
Sub menu 3 = C
How do I select U, L, D etc.....

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Hang on, just noticed the switch toggles up down left and right, so, ok, now only need to w
Ensure the switch is wired correctly to the master pcb.

Anthony.

glyndwr1998

Postby glyndwr1998 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:36 pm

Ok, learning,
U= up
D= down

Etc.... So, am getting there, just need confirmation the switch is wired correctly to the master pcb, it's soldered directly on the switch pcb so it's only the master pcb side
Still working on it though
Thanks.

martinwinlow

Postby martinwinlow » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi Anthony,

You should be able to figure out which switch position is which by measuring the resistance each position makes as it is this with the PIC measures to dictate an output to the program. As to what all the positions do... you should be able to figure *this* out from the program file.... or are you not sufficiently geeky to read it (sorry - I don't know what you know!). It has been 3 years since I last looked at this!

I don't know if this helps...

; Command 01 = Send Cell Voltage on Master Bus (0.1ms pulse)
; Command 02 = Turn Off Slave Load (0.2ms pulse)
; Command 03 = Turn On Slave Loads as Required (0.3ms pulse)
; Command 04 = Increase Load CutIn Voltage by 10mv (0.4ms pulse)
; Command 05 = Decrease Load CutIn Voltage by 10mv (0.5ms pulse)
; Command 06 = Increase Load CutOut Voltage by 10mv (0.6ms pulse)
; Command 07 = Decrease Load CutOut Voltage by 10mv (0.7ms pulse)
; Command 08 = Set Slave Load CutIn/CutOut Voltage Defaults (0.8ms pulse)
; Command 09 = Turn On Slave Load for 0.5 seconds (Flashes Led) (0.9ms pulse)
; Command 10 = Set Baud rate to 9600bps (1.0ms pulse)
; Command 11 = Set Baud rate to 2400bps (1.1ms pulse)
; Command 12 = Report Slave Software Version Number (1.2ms pulse)

I expect you will figure it out eventually! MW
Regards, Martin Winlow
Herts, UK
http://www.evalbum.com/2092
www.winlow.co.uk

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:57 pm

Those are the relevant diagrams posted by Martin. The 5 buttons shown in the top schematic is the joystick button which connects to the master J9 pins 1 and 6.

Once you have the buttons working you can access the menus and set the cell number to 16 or whatever your value is. This value will be saved so you only need to do it once.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

glyndwr1998

Postby glyndwr1998 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:48 am

Ok gents,

Now got the switch all sorted and can communicate to the slaves via the switch.
I've set the clave for 1 cell only at the moment for testing, rigged up 1 cell and all seems to be working ok.

The slave software version is v10.

I have searched and read the software thread for the v10 to see what the command function numbers are and what they do, and from what I can see the v10 had 22 commands.

There are 13 command options in the slave menu actually programmed into the slaves on the board, I suppose I'd need to extract the actual program to see what these command do so I don't make any mistakes by adjusting something that's not the right parameter.
I do know command 1 is read cell voltage, and command 8 is send command to led on slave to light it up for a second for testing purposes.

For me to get this system right for my application I'd much prefer to alter the cell charge and discharge parameters, with the balance phase starting at 3.45v with final cell voltage no greater than 3.55v and discharge to 2.8v, just to try to protect the cells alittle and try to extend their lives alittle with lower depth of discharge.

As I have never worked with these before, can they be reprogrammed, and if they can what equipment I require do complete the tasks required. I have a friend who lectures in our local college and I'm sure he has programming equipment so I'd be able to borrow them.

If it cannot b done as the chips are now burnt, no worries.

Again, many thanks for all your help.

Anthony.

isaac_alaska1

Postby isaac_alaska1 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:08 am

You will need a pic programmer, probably someone on here can make the necessary code changes and recompile for you so you won't have to purchase any software. I haven't done any of this since 2012, but this is what I remember.

These chips can be reprogrammed several thousand times, maybe more like a million times, from what I remember

glyndwr1998

Postby glyndwr1998 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:54 am

Hi Isaac,

I have opened the txt file of v10 slave software, and see the following command

Command 05 = Decrease Load CutIn Voltage by 10mv

So, could the slaves be programmed on the fly and let's say the cut in load voltage to start to drain charge is set at 3.65v, I'd I sent a command 05 then the load cut in voltage ip would now be 3.55v.

I can of course test this with a hobby charger and the one cell I have hooked up at the moment. But if this is true, that would be absolutely ideal. I'd just send a few command 5 prompts to the slaves and reset the cloak cut in voltage to my desired voltage.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Anthony.

isaac_alaska1

Postby isaac_alaska1 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:10 pm

I believe that only programs the slaves, and the master needs to match. I don't remember what happens if they don't. When I did it I had 48 slaves, so being able to program them all at once from the master interface was very nice, and reprogramming one master wasn't too big of a deal.
Again, probably better wait for a second opinion because I havektbactualy used it in quite a while. In any case I don't think u can hurt anything by trying it out, just don't forget how many times the command has been sent because I don't remember if there is a "read cut in voltage from slaves" command

glyndwr1998

Postby glyndwr1998 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:47 pm

I think I need to get hold of a pic programmer and suck out the program that's in the slave just to make sure I understand what the commands are.
On the software version I have opened in this thread v10 beta software had 22 commands, whereas when I access the pics on the pcb via the switch the software has 13 commands, so I need to understand and record the data that's in them first. At least then I will know what the commands are for.

I am hopeful I can just use a command function and lower the load cut in value on the fly, it'll make for much better setup.

Many thanks for your continued support with it.

Anthony.

glyndwr1998

Postby glyndwr1998 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:38 pm

After having a good read through the thread found this info that I think is the software on the slaves
The commands for sure seem to match up.

For everyones info here is a current list of The Master Alarm & Command Codes.
I suggest print it out and keep in car!

'**************************** Master Alarms ***********************************

' Alarms Additional Information (255 possible Alarms) 0 or 255 = No Alarms

' If Alarms = 0 then (No Alarms Set)
' If Alarms = 1 then (Cell over AbsMax V)
' If Alarms = 2 then (Cell under AbsMin V)
' If Alarms = 3 then (Cell data serial transfer timeout error)
' If Alarms = 4 then (Battery Pack over AbsMax Temp)
' If Alarms = 5 then (External End Charge OR Battery Fault Condition) (Pack Voltage Drop Detector)
' If Alarms = 6 then (Internal End Charge) (Cells have all reached balancing voltage during this charge cyle)
' If Alarms = 7 then (Pack Voltage > Maximum permitted Pack Voltage)
' If Alarms = 8 then (Pack Voltage < Minimum permitted Pack Voltage)
' If Alarms = 9 then (Watchdog chip 1S pulse missing)
' If Alarms = 10 then (Command Error, Sent & Recd do not match!)

'***************************** Slave Commands **********************************

' Command 01 = Send Cell Voltage on Master Bus
' Command 02 = Turn Off Loads
' Command 03 = Turn On Loads as Reqd by Load CutIn Voltage
' Command 04 = Increase Load CutIn Voltage by 50mv
' Command 05 = Decrease Load CutIn Voltage by 50mv
' Command 06 = Set Slave Load CutIn Voltage Default
' Command 07 = Turn On Slave Load for 0.5 seconds (Flash Led)
' Command 08 = Report Slave Software Version Number
' Command 09 = Increase FailLow Cut Off Voltage by 50mv
' Command 10 = Decrease FailLow Cut Off Voltage by 50mv
' Command 11 = Increase FailHigh Cut in Voltage by 50mv
' Command 12 = Decrease FailHigh Cut in Voltage by 50mv
' Command 13 = Set FailHigh/Low Voltages to Default

Return to “BMS thread”