Electric sprint racing in the UK

General BVS related area
johnev

Electric sprint racing in the UK

Postby johnev » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:08 pm

Hi everyone, I've now completed two sprint races with my Westfield Sport E. It’s been a steep learning curve for me as a novice racer. My first outing was to the Croft circuit near Darlington. The car was fast but the chassis needed setting up and I was too slow. I've since competed at the MIRA test track in the rain and my lap times have improved somewhat and were comparable with the ICE cars – at least in the rain.

Sprint racing is ideal for battery powered vehicles because you have just 4 or 5 ‘sprints’ around the track. Usually that's 2 practice laps and 2 timed laps. In the case of Croft, it's about 90 seconds each lap. I have a 24KW/hr battery and even with a peak motor power if 140KW that’s more than enough charge for a day’s sprinting. Electrically the car worked fine. My challenges are to sort the chassis handling, remove weight from the car and learn how to drive!

But there’s a problem; the ICE Westfield sprint racing community have welcomed me with open arms, they are really friendly and I'm having fun – but as the only electric competitor it’s a bit lonely. I know one other person racing an electric car in the UK (Mitsubishi i-MiEV in a different race series to me) but we could do with a bit more competition.

Is there anyone else out there that wants to build or race electric cars? If so come out and play. :D

John

retepsnikrep

Re: Electric sprint racing in the UK

Postby retepsnikrep » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:34 am

Few friends and I might enter the Dave Allan endurance race next year at Castle Combe in our G1 Insight Hybrid.

Might have a look at sprinting the car locally as well.
I live near Thirsk so Croft is handy for me until July when we move to the coast.

Will be attending a Croft track day in next couple of months in my own tweaked G1 Insight.
Perhaps see you at a trackday and some passenger laps in both cars. :wink:

Where do you live?
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

johnev

Re: Electric sprint racing in the UK

Postby johnev » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:25 am

Hi Peter,

I live in Leicester so I have to trailer my car to events. Despite having a 23KW battery, I get about 10-15 minutes of track time - 120KW motor and a heavy right foot! :)

My charger is only 3KW which gives an 8 hour recharge - so not much use on a track day.

I'm working on a high power charger and generator idea at the moment. The generator needs to be at least 20KW and portable (lightweight) - another big project. Since hybrids are the future, perhaps I should put the generator in the car :lol:

The sprint car is road legal so if your in Leicester (3 miles from M1 J21) pop in and say hi.

John

Return to “General”