Anyone know anything about the Smart Electric?

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
Rory166

Anyone know anything about the Smart Electric?

Postby Rory166 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi

I am about to start converting a Smart using parts from an electric Smart. Does anyone have any useful information? All I have found so far is that a company Zytek supplies the propulsion package which has three connections 12v, 300v and water. The battery pack replaces the fuel tank. There must also be special controls and instrumentation.

Rory
Electric Seicento conversion, Leaf

timpootle

Re: Anyone know anything about the Smart Electric?

Postby timpootle » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:41 am

I think there have been several attempts to electrify the Smart over the year. How old was the car your parts came from?

And what happened to that car? I am confused that you are canibalising a Smart to make another Smart.
Tim Crumpton

Rory166

Postby Rory166 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:53 am

Tim

Thanks for coming back. It is a 2011 Smart that I have cannibalised so the latest of the three versions? Yes I agree its ridiculous but the vehicle has been sold to a scrap yard on a break only clause. Nothing actually wrong with the chassis other than slight distortion of one flange at the front which I would hammer straight in 5 minutes. I took everything I thought might be relevant including the entire body loom.

I am considering a 52 Smart which is obviously a lot older hence the possible need for the loom.
The battery was on lease so retained. At this moment I have not identified the BMS connection to the battery.

Rory
Last edited by Rory166 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:21 am

Lots of data out there on the conversion. Yours isnt a series 3 which is whats now being sold but one of the series 2. It originally had a TESLA made pack. Few were sold, most stayed in the hands of Mercedes, who subsequently took all they could get back to a plant in germany for dismantling before they launched the current saleable vehicle into the market. I tried to get the parts but they were adamant they all went for recycling.
I considered this as well. But decided I had too much on. Dont bother with the older smart, convert a 451 ie post 2007/8 The parts will swap straight in.You also end up with a car someone would want rather than a 10+ year convert.
Battery is high voltage which probably means buying a more costly pack. with close on 100 cells. Not that many alternatives out there at the moment in the used ev salvage market. Leaf is too large MIEV might be an option. Most being too large to go into the smart under floor space.
On my 451 I made a new rear crossmember for the suspension allowing me to get some Calb 180cells across the back of the car to up mine from 24 thunderskys to 25 calb.
But getting smaller cells into the space should be easier.

Good luck

Grumpy-b

Rory166

Postby Rory166 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:37 pm

Thanks Grumpy-B

I had come to a similar conclusion. Was bidding on a 2008 this morning but let it go as bit too dear. It had front damage so not ideal. I am really looking for one with a blown engine. Unsure if the Roadster of Four-four are at all similar.

Bit unsure about the source of the running gear. No mention of Tesla but Zytek on many things and Tyco on some. It seems that there are guages and ECU which plug into the normal car loom in place of the standard.

On my way home I did wonder whether to try and visit you at Colchester but am not sure if you are there during the day or where you are for that matter.

Rory

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:53 pm

Zytec did the conversion for Mercedes, taking them off the production line as fresh cars and convering alongside the main factory in batches. Tesla supplied the battery pack and took them back, either as the cars were reclaimed by Mercedes from the dealers, or like this one when it was scrapped.
Unless you have found it I think the charger was in the battery pack. But there is lots on the internet about them its just difficult to find.

Roadster is more akin to the early for two, later ones have a 5 not 6 speed gearbox. And pretty much everything else is different. Four four is a completely different vehicle with no relationto the 450 or 451 or any other of the smarts. Its based upon a mitsubishi.

Generally around but work a lot on location. So best to arrange a couple of days ahead to see me. Not a lot to see. Some stock at home rather rhan the workshop/ storage.

Grumpy-b
Grumpy-b

Rory166

Postby Rory166 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:05 am

Grumpy

I think the charger is on top of the motor as the charge socket connects there. I assume the battery voltage was 300v on this version although 14 KWh so less than 50Ah. As you say it is hard to find the information on the net but I will keep trying as you have found it previously. I have just read that the springs are stronger than standard which makes me wish I had taken the front ones as well.

Rory

glyndwr1998

Postby glyndwr1998 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:01 pm

I was also in contact with the breaker about that smart car, at the time he said he had the battery but phoned me back after checking the battery had already been removed.
I pondered on it for a while too, but came to the conclusion that getting over 300v worth of batteries back into it was abit of a struggle, so decided against the project, but I was interested and pondered it for more than a few days......

Hope you succeed in the project and end up with a fab little ev

Anthony.

Rory166

Postby Rory166 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:40 am

Thanks Anthony

The Scrappie did ask was I the chap that had phoned before and about the battery. It would have been a lot better if they had it!

I am getting 100 HiPower 50 Ah Cells so will be interesting to see where they can fit. Will need to build 50 more BMS modules so this is going to take a while. Also yet to source the right Recipient Car.

Rory

Rory166

Postby Rory166 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:20 pm

Have now purchased a 2013 smart for the conversion. As it was a Cat C write off the first thing I need to do is repair the car. Yesterday I went back to the breaker for the wheels, stalks and the front chassis leg which has been bent on mine. Today trucks seem to have been arriving all day with various bits for the project. The only outstanding item is the steering wheel airbag. I did feel foolish when I found some parts were the same price new from MB as I had paid on Ebay.

The battery voltage is a bit of a mystery, it would be convenient if I could use 96 cells as in the leaf but I am not sure if that is too much. 300v has been mentioned. I would like to modify it to use rapid charge if possible.

Rory

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”