microcar and aixam

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
grahamlerwill

microcar and aixam

Postby grahamlerwill » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:43 am

Hi,
I got one of the free chargemaster points installed the other day - which led me to look at electric cars again.

My wife has a full automatic motorbike licence, which I believe entitles her to drive a light or heavy quadricycle L6/L7 after the most recent changes to the legislation - bringing in AM licence (30mph/16 yrs+) and removing the restriction on how long you have a full licence (2001/2?).

I am aware that there was an electric microcar (venn), but I think is no longer....

I am aware that there is an electric microcar mgo - but have no information on it....

I know there are aixam e-city for sale cheap, but there are problems.....

I would like to ask for advice as follows:

- is my interpretation of the quadricycle legislation correct?

- has anyone done a microcar MC2 conversion with lithium batteries?

- can a aixam e city be brought up to date with lithium batteries etc relatively easily - maybe start from a non runner?

sorry for asking so much in one go!

PS I am located in bristol

rgds

Graham

flaninacupboard

Re: microcar and aixam

Postby flaninacupboard » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:30 pm

Have you looked at the Renault Twizy? This already has Lihtium, has a warranty, produced by a major manufacturer, and is not much more money than a mega city.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:38 pm

But for a Twizzy you have an ongoing £70+ per month Battery rental, and a certain difficulty in selling the car. Hence the cheapness second hand.
None of the other cars you nemtioned can use a modern charging point without modification. (do PM me if I can be of help)
The main point with the Micro cars is the speed limit of I believe 45mph. Thats quite constraining in anything but a strictly urban usage.
Conversion to Lithium isnt really a problem, just expensive.

Grumpy-b

jonathan jewkes

Postby jonathan jewkes » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:30 am

Alan Ward of the BVS has done an electric conversion of a microcar - I think a Ligier. I am almost certain that he used Lithium batteries
Jonathan Jewkes
Daily EV user for 10years - an enthusiast and also a realist

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”