Lithium Battery Monitor 48 cell

Threads relating to the BMS system begun by Peter Perkins

Moderators: GregsGarage, retepsnikrep

casemod

Re: Lithium Battery Monitor 48 cell

Postby casemod » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:48 pm

Yeah, I got myself one of those.

There are 3 wires: Ignition, alternator and Diagnostic + 2 large wires for power and GND.

Usually you send power to the ignition wire and 12V to the alternator wire for the pump to run. On mine it simply refused to work. I think the pump either had codes stored or was faulty. I paid a tenner for it so didnt bother too much.

I opened the pump thinking I would find a DC motor, it was actually a brushless. 4 Poles, 2 hall sensors with a 7 magnet rotor. I just gave up as I had no idea what to do with it. Couldnt use a 3 phase brushless controller and the 7 magnet rotor was weird, wiring was impossible to change. Any way please let me know I am curious, just dont open it. Not worth.

Here are some pics of my electric PS conversion

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The same shaft I was talking about before. This was my first try and adjustment.

There was another adapter machined to fill this gap. I decided not to weld on the spline, just in case I ever need to swap the cullumn. It will also protect the bearing from the heat.

Ill post some more once I have the job done. Tomorrow will be finished.

casemod

Postby casemod » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:34 pm

I got the new boards.

Never done them on the oven so the result was not good...

Ended up doing them with a regular soldering iron, but since I reused the IC's from the other board and some got bent pads the result was not 100% perfect. Next batch will be better.

Derek, any chance you could program and send me some Picaxe IC's? I am quite busy with uni and since I cant get them from my usual supplier it would save me some time. Maybe you even got a spare? Send me a PM.

dillond666

Postby dillond666 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi Casemod,

I don't have any Picaxe 08m2 to hand at the moment.
Are you using the exact same pins to do the exact same jobs as mine?
Did you include the programming header on your boards?
Will you be using the SMT or throughole Picaxe?

D

casemod

Postby casemod » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:57 pm

Hi,

I will be using the version I posted here earlier. Its the exact same as yours, just smaller layout. All the conectors are there and its the SMD version of the picaxe. I was actually wondering why you've chosen the SMD, it would be easier with a DIP to replace?

Regards

dillond666

Postby dillond666 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Hi,

As you are using the same circuit and have included the programming header, all you need is the USB programming cable from Revolution Education and a little homemade adapter to go from the 3.5mm stereo jack to the SIL programming header. The firmware is the same as the one on my webpage.
I used the surface mount picaxe simply because I fancied it. :wink: It isn't that helpful to program the chip off board anyway.
Hope you get it up and running soon.

dillond666

Postby dillond666 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:09 am

Just a note to say I'm moving all the KiCad files etc to a new server and attempting to do a slightly better website. Should anyone require any files or schematics in the meantime feel free to PM me.

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:24 pm

dillond666 wrote:Just a note to say I'm moving all the KiCad files etc to a new server and attempting to do a slightly better website. Should anyone require any files or schematics in the meantime feel free to PM me.

Have you considered github for the kicad files? I have been getting on quite well with it on my windows machine. :D It also works with Linux but not as easy to set up, I think they expect anyone using Linux doesn't need the hand holding that you get with their windows interface. :roll:
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

casemod

Postby casemod » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:07 pm

Hi There,

I completely lost track of this thread.... Real pain to find again.

Well.. anyway... I've been running BMS Free up to now and within the next year I am going to get this thing going for both my car and e-bike. The 36V BMS I was using on the later literally died and fried part of the pack.

I just wanted to have some feedback from you regarding the balancing issue I noted when I designed the new PCBs. Did you ever had to re-balance the cells yet?

Regards

Return to “BMS thread”