My new project

An area for all you bikers who now run your two wheeler on battery power, scooter owners to.
ex925

Re: My new project

Postby ex925 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:17 am

hi, from Ed. in Plymouth. excellent work. would love to know how it's going ?

charlesb

Postby charlesb » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi Ed
Getting there slowly, though the weather has been so bad, I'm not really in a hurry.
I've just stripped her down to add the battery rollbars and braces, and then the frame is off to the powder coaters.
I have had her out for a run up our farm tracks, and she zips up to 50mph with no problem. I reckon 65/70 top speed, which is about what I had hoped the gearing would achieve.
The Kelly controller works fine, though as expected it won't give the full current output that the batteries can give.
It's a KBL48301, and will give a steady 100amps, but not much more without cutting. It's cheap though, and very easy to work with. I will probably go for a Sevcon when I get it on the road, I just need to find someone to set the controller up, as the programmer is too expensive.
Short video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TsbK5eREIo You can here the whine, probably the trapezoid Kelly output, and it gives a very brief resonant squark at about 30mph, not sure if motor or controller causing that. Would be interesting to hear it on a Sevcon sinusoidal unit.
I've been in touch with the dvla and they have put me in touch with the local Newcastle dvla, who were very helpful last time I built a kit car Robin Hood, so hopefully not too much hassle.
Wish me luck!
Attachments
Electrics.jpg
Electrics.jpg (31.13 KiB) Viewed 33062 times
Bike.jpg
Bike.jpg (51.37 KiB) Viewed 33062 times

ex925

Postby ex925 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Also, excellent appearance, good for the TWEV "cause"
Looking forward to your next news bulletin
Good luck with the V5c
Kind Regards
Ed

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Please test ride it carefully at first.
If you have lost torsional stiffness. You'll be the first to know.
My first foray with the single-wheeled trailer was profound. The 30lb trailer shook my 770lb bike at 20mph. Definitely a case of the tail wagging the dog.

charlesb

Postby charlesb » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:44 pm

Yes, it is something I have been keeping an eye on. So far I've noticed no problems, and that's before I added the extra side braces/ battery/leg protectors. The top tubes are pretty substantial, and the original engine frame was only bolted on, now it's all welded. I've got a good bit of twisty road for testing, and it handles fine so far, there is definately a difference, I think because the weight appears centred lower than before, it seems to understeer slightly more.
Piccie of frame ready to go off to the powder coaters. There is a thin aluminium panel that runs down the front and under the bike as well. I've weighed the bike, and it's almost exactly the same as the original with fuel in of 165kg
Attachments
Bike Frame.jpg
Bike Frame.jpg (70.89 KiB) Viewed 33057 times

ex925

Postby ex925 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Good welding, good tube-bending, sufficient of the original frame to retain original vehicle identity.
Very likely mild improvement over original frame torsional rigidity without becoming unduly stiff, a well-balanced evolution.

Foale's "bible" is very helpful on the balancing of conflicting needs for a motorcycle frame.
IIRC, there is an optimal position for the centre of mass for each individual motorcycle design.
(I think it is centred along a hypothetical line from the rear-tyre contact-patch to the head-stock?)

Re-read Tony's work during my (2009) initial road-trials; a series of small steps then improved the all-round feel
(Adjustments of the values and positions of the rear suspension units, rear ride-height, and head-stock angle)

Next version will ("eventually"...) be a monoshock FF with better bodywork
(not difficult to improve on the present hasty finish...)
For 104v.dc, I will use an early, PC-adjustable 500A Kelly

I envy your Sevcon, cutting-edge kit
(To be fair to the Kelly, it performed very well in a pb-laden Fiat Cinquecento)
Good luck with the government agency/ies
KR, from "Ed. the Bodgineer"
(+ happy festivities)

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Your bike is looking gurrddd!
I hope that should make up for the loss of rigidity from removing the engine unit.

Basic frame structure in my perception based across two points. The headstock and the swing arm bearing.
The centre of Gravity is said to be best around the middle of the centreline between between the two structural points. If the C of G is lower, then a steeper steering angle can be accommodated.

These views below kind of stretches Tony Foales perfection of the best frame but handled amazingly well.
ImageImage

Note here, you can fit all the cells front to back under the seat all the way to the front. My 10KWH pack is a metre long, 10" wide and 11" high. leaving room above for much other stuff. I've a system in mind for building this with an integrated lightweight structure with far better weather handling and safety.

Sorry for drifting off topic and hi-jacking but it is an interesting subject for future projects ;)

charlesb

Postby charlesb » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:06 pm

I remember seeing a Quasar at our classic car show a couple of years ago. The design would suit an electric power train.
As you can see from my frame, I am rather keen on protecting my expensive batteries! I first started with a bolt on design, but after a bit of fiddling, I came up with a permanent design, and can still just get the batteries in and out. I thought it may also make a good frame for a fairing. I could either vaccum mould, or maybe try some aluminium bashing.

When I first started thinking about a bike, I nearly went for building an electric version of my CJ750. Easy to get parts, and loads of space for batteries. In the end I stuck with two wheels.

ex925

Postby ex925 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:32 pm

CJ750
Is that Chinese ?
(please forgive my ignorance)
Looks very good
KR
e

charlesb

Postby charlesb » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:41 am

Yes, originally the Russians were licensed to make the M72 in 1956, which was a copy of the R71, and then the Chinese got hold of the tooling, and carried on for years. It was the standard army bike up until the 80's
Plenty of them still in China, and common in US, but quite rare in UK with the tub on the left.
Good fun to ride, makes a nice solo ride as well, brakes are useless though.

Return to “Electric Motor Bikes”