New UK designed electric van

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
MB

New UK designed electric van

Postby MB » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:38 pm

Preliminary information on a new UK designed electric van: http://www.BluebirdAutomotive.com/
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

ChrisB

Re: New UK designed electric van

Postby ChrisB » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Looks very similar to another I think it was the Smiths truck mmmmmmm

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

mattcarr

Postby mattcarr » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:47 am

Well, no real information about the vehicle. 3.5 tonne offering a decent payload makes me think it is loaded with Lithium which will load up the price.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Nothing really new, Southern Electricity Board as it was known was opperating 7.5 ton Electric Dodges back in the 80's and I drove a few of them 8)

ChrisB

MB

Postby MB » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:51 pm

There will be more information on the truck later this month.

Price-wise, it is similar in cost to a diesel Ford Transit or Mercedes Sprinter, with a superior payload. Its designed as an inner-city delivery vehicle - so don't expect to see them racing down the motorway, but they would be ideal for delivering in an urban or city environment.
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:46 pm

Shame its such an unconventional appearance. With smiths etc being based upon normal vehicles, acceptance by the users is much more readily achieved. If users dont feel comfortable in them then they will never be readily accepted. White Van man is a conservative beast.

Grumpy-b

MB

Postby MB » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:37 pm

It's a milkfloat! How conventional can it get? :lol:

The real benefit of it is that anyone can look at it and understand its function straight away. Nobody is going to say "it's no good, I can't drive from London to Edinburgh in it", because one glance will tell you everything you need to know about its function and what it does well. It's an inner-city delivery vehicle.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:37 pm

You just proved the point. If it doesnt look conventional, and as you say looks like a milk float, thats what people will think of it. What white van man wants to drive a milk float. If it looks like a transit then thats OK. Hey its an electric Transit, not hey its a milk float.
This has been the problem with so many electric vehicles, they are just too wacky for people to accept them. Blingos are great, The Leaf is great, but a Gwiz or a Milk float. I dont think so.Talking of Think, they also had a lot of perception problems.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:29 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:This has been the problem with so many electric vehicles, they are just too wacky for people to accept them. Blingos are great,

How many times have the public said that to me ...i.e "if they made electric vehicles that didnt look like milk floats or noddy cars then I'd buy one, where can I buy one of your berlingos" :lol: :lol:

ChrisB

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:47 am

Has anyone sucessfully dealt with Bluebird and bought a vehicle?

My partner's employer had been trying to replace their existing vehicle and Bluebird had a suitable vehicle. However, from there onwards Bluebird couldn't get hteir act together to quote for the vehicle they offered nor provide the information requested nor respond in a timely manner to queries.
They have given up on Bluebird and are looking to any other supplier for a vehicle with the option of refurbing the one they have.

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”