Proven grid connected 6kW wind turbine

Do you make your own power ? be it Solar or Wind. Then this is a place for all home energy chat.
ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:45 pm

clnbrtltt wrote:...........I'm sure there is a technical way of explaining the situation but we can't tell you what it is :oops:

Ah so basically it upsets the grid syncro ECU and locks the turbine out of the grid then .

Typical electronic OMG its all gone a bit wobbley so we'll shut down :roll:

You'd have thought they would have come up with an auto re-start built in to the ECU if things settle down ??

Fine if it only does it once in a while but if it becomes regular I can see that becoming a pain :cry:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:34 pm

Our predicted average wind speed is 6.8m/s but that covers a square km and we are almost at the highest point :!:

At the highest point just 100 metres from us if we clamber up on the hedge on a very clear day we can see the North coast of Cornwall one way and the South coast the other.

clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:18 pm

Proven 6kW Wind Turbine
3.8 kW Solar PV

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:14 pm

Love the graph

Interesting to see the generation curves , would you say that generation during the months is spready evenly over the days or is it mainly over a couple of decent blowy days ??

ChrisB

clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks Chris for reproducing the graph here.
I wasn't sure how to do it.

Interestingly, we only had 12 days over the last complete year when we didn't generate anything.
The actual daily generation varies a lot but mostly each day we generate in the 20's to 50's with a few days over that and up to a possible maximum of 144. Our maximum daily total so far is 132kWh.

The summer months are the least windy and the winter months are generally much more productive.

We are really pleased with the generation so far.

Jan
Proven 6kW Wind Turbine
3.8 kW Solar PV

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:21 pm

So the question (if its not too personal) is how much is it saving you and hows the payback coming along ?

Dont feel you have to answer the above :wink:

From memory you dont store but have it directly connected ?

ChrisB

clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:23 am

No, it's not too personal Chris.

Our system is grid connected. We claim for ROCs and what we export on a yearly basis.
So far we have figures for our first year but that was actually 5 weeks less than the full year due to the fact that our originally fitted total meter wouldn't work and there was a delay in fitting a new one.

We claimed 9 ROCs £379
Exported 7mW £143
Used on site 2mW £270

Total £792

We also used less oil.

Our system cost us about £14,000 after taking into consideration the initial grant that we had.

This year we will probably export a little less as we are using more on site (EV). Also prices have gone up this year which will add about another £200.
Next year the amount for ROCs seems set to double which will add another £400.

As you can see payback time looks to be getting closer than our original estimate of 15 plus years!

Hope this answers a few of your queries.

Jan
Proven 6kW Wind Turbine
3.8 kW Solar PV

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:55 pm

Fantastic and VERY interesting, thank you so much for sharing this.

As you say with prices going in the current direction it looks as though you will be well ahead of target.

Lastly what is the life expectancy of the Generator and equipment and what sort of maintenance do you expect to have to carry out on the plant.

ChrisB

clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:31 pm

The turbine is expected to last 20+ years but parts etc. can be replaced so possibly it could go on a lot longer. Base would be there indefinitely.
The SMA invertor is guaranteed for 5 years so hopefully will go on for several more years than that.................

It is recommended that the turbine is serviced every year ie. grease the 3 bearings, clean the pickup rings and generally check over for any deterioration on blades etc.
For this the turbine needs to be lowered so a winch is required.
Colin reckons any competent person could service it and hopes to service ours in the future.
Our first service last year was free but if we want someone to service it for us £150 was quoted a while back.

We don't mind answering any queries.

Jan
Proven 6kW Wind Turbine
3.8 kW Solar PV

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:50 pm

Great write-up! Thank you both. I would like to install one here, once my wallet has recovered from buying a stupid amount of lithium, and if Manchester Airport permit me (we are very close to them here).
Tim Crumpton

Return to “Home Energy Area”