My Fiesta EV was stolen for use as a getaway car !

Got a hot news story concerning EV's, be it on the TV, Radio or seen it in the press, then share it with us here.
gjsolar

My Fiesta EV was stolen for use as a getaway car !

Postby gjsolar » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:19 am

Hard to believe this, my wife went out in the morning last week to use the Electric Fiesta van as she does routinely, and it was no longer in the drive !
As the events became clearer, it seems our quiet crime free Herefordshire border town had been where a police investigasting lorry theft from mid wales had been chasing suspects in an Audi Quattro the previous night. They damaged the Audi in our local town, and legged it. The police lost track of them in fields near our house. In the morning our car was gone ! Fortunately I sent the police a pic, and its been recovered (now I'm minus 140 pounds for the collection and storage fees...) . Initally I thought there was only the usual damage to the door , steering lock, cowl and ignition switch, but one of the pair of Lynch motors is smelling really bad , and its too hot. So I guess its either brushes or something worse.Finally today something else has gone wrong so at the moment its immobile. I'll start looking at it in detail next week.

The local newspaper got in touch and I was a bit wary , since I thought it might be just another opportunuty to ridicule EV's, but the end result has at least has some of the facts that I told them.
I must admit that although its not slow, its not at the moment an ideal choice for a getaway car, although maybe there is a new market since police infra red cameras would not have much heat to track??

It did bring a smile to my face, when I thought of their reaction, presumably having chosen a 1992 fiesta van as an easy target, to then glide off silently into the night !

The thieves were possibly from central england area, so if anyone hears about unusual discussions on electric vans- let me know !

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/37054 ... et_far___/

arsharpe

BVS member's car used for a getaway!!!!!

Postby arsharpe » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:09 am

Kelvin,

You may have seen this on the forum, but it needs putting into the next magazine too. It would be good to get some photographs - it sounds like the Fiesta that has been owned by Dennis Doeffel and David Webb.

John Lilly

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:22 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Class pond life morons of the highest calibre, sorry they damaged your vehicle though.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:29 am

It could have been worse they could have taken a gas guzzling V8 or something ! :wink:

gjsolar

Postby gjsolar » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:44 pm

Yes , as John says , it is the same Fiesta that he saw when I took it to the Tour of Prestigne event in May. It is the ex LMC conversion, then modified by Dennis Doeffel and David Webb. I'm trying to make it even more reliable and safe, and increase its performance slightly.
Although I'm not planning on it being used as an environmentally friendly getaway car just yet.

qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:01 pm

gjsolar wrote:I'm not planning on it being used as an environmentally friendly getaway car just yet.

Now there's an idea! Seems everyone else is robbing us blind including the banks these days so hell why, not it does make a lot of sense ! :wink:

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:48 pm

OMG :shock: just spotted this one

What a nightmere for you and to have the damage :cry:

I've seen Dennis's lttle van when I had my fiesta we had them parked side by side once.

Cant beleive they got far in it ?
If anyone jumped in my fiesta they wouldnt have even worked out how to get it going :oops: let alone change gear without a clutch.

That must be almost the first case of an EV being stolen ?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Peter Eggleston

Postby Peter Eggleston » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:23 am

There are several cases of milk floats being stolen.
Peter

Return to “Hot off the press....”