Ultra eco mode

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
gooroo

Ultra eco mode

Postby gooroo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:14 pm

I would like to make a mod to my BerlingoE to take the signal from the eco meter and from the throttle position sensor so I can have a switch that physically prevents me from taking the eco meter above green even with my foot to the floor.

I will think some more about the subject, perhas have a look at the throttle position sensor and a look at the back of the instrument cluster. A simple PIC circuit should do the trick.

Regards, Simon

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:54 pm

Hi Simon

Thats and interesting thought , I must admit having a dont go above a set amps demand type device would be a good idea.
Its quite easy to creep into the orange or even the red without realising it.

So somesort of device would be useful I recon, adding to it a little, I think it would be prudent to have a switch on the throttle pedal right on the bottom of its travel or slightly past that ( if you understand ) so if things got a bit hairy and you did need full power to get you out of trouble a stab to the floor and a bit beyond would dis-engage said device so you had full power once again.
I use to have a current limiter on my fiesta and to be honest I found it more of a hinderence as you would dial in the limit and then find you would always need that little bit more and was always tweaking it.
I kept meaning to make a throttle switch on the floor so if I needed full whack then it would drop the limiter out of circuit for that duration.

Be interesting to see what you come up with

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

gooroo

Postby gooroo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:41 am

I think I could program the PIC controller to operate like a sort of kick down, if you pushed your foot hard to the floor the device would still limit the acceleration to keep the ECO in the green. If you then quickly lifted your foot and pressed it down again within say 30ms (adjustable) then the device would switch off and allow full throttle. As soon as the ECO dropped back to the green, after the full throtle condition is over then the device would naturally switch back in again. An additional override switch mounted on the dash would allow the driver to switch off the device either until the vehicle is turned off and then on or until the driver switches it back on.

Regards, Simon

BTW, its Simon from Portchester incase you hadn't realised :)

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:01 pm

:lol: I hadnt realised it was YOU simon..... I have to admit :oops: Glad you have joined us.

Ah I see , so your looking at getting the pic to adjust the throttle pot then to limit its range ?? and so to keep it within the range , and also building in to the program the get me out of trouble bit ??

I've not had much dealings with Pics myself apart from a silly traffic light simulator. I know someone else who has done some work with pics who might be able to work on this as well.

I've got the spare van here so I might pull the dash apart and have a fiddle and see what goes where in the wiring stakes so atleast you'll know which are the signal wires to the Eco meter if thats any help ??

ChrisB

gooroo

Postby gooroo » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:12 am

Yep its me! lol :)

Yep you've got it, I will draw a block diagram and upload it so everyone can see how it would operate.

Yeah the offer of the instument cluster examination would be helpfull so would looking at the variable resistor on the pedal too :)

Also, thinking about it, with wiring going to the throttle pedal and eco meter it would be very simple to also hook up to the brake pedal switch and program in the brake light operating from the eco meter too :)

Now just to get it to take over the steering too :) Zzzzzzzzzz lol :)

Regards, Simon

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:01 pm

Calm down matey :shock: I would like to drive the van myself rather than the Pic to do it ALL :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll have a look at pulling the intrument panel out of my spare and also the location of the throttle Pot , but it wont be really until the weekend now.

ChrisB

gooroo

Postby gooroo » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:09 am

No hurry Chris, it will be in slooooooowww time anyhow :)

Regards, Simon

gwing

Any progress?

Postby gwing » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Has anyone a solution for this?

I am finding that with the steep hills around here a moments carelessness can easily let it get out of the green and, if the charge is less than 70%, trip it into eco light situation. It really would be handy to switch in a green sector/100amp limit at times.

Edit- to clarify: I meant that I have never had the eco light come on above 70% in any circumstances. It has come on at 50% when inadvertently drawing higher currents and at 60% once - which prompted me to do a balance charge. That latter case had involved a few short journeys and a recent partial charge so it may(I hope) have been the thing getting its calculations in a knot rather than a battery fault.

Even if there is nothing wrong - I would still like an option to switch in a green zone limit :)

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:59 pm

Gwing - sounds like you have a fault. Pressing the pedal to the metal shouldn't put the light on at 70% charge, no matter how big the hill.

Chris, anyone - care to comment further?

I would not choose to modify my car in the way gooroo describes.If my energy use was that critical, I would be watching the ecometer myself and driving accordingly.
Tim Crumpton

gwing

Postby gwing » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:49 pm

Thanks Tim. I have clarified my post above to make clear that my light doesn't come on at 70%, however if it shouldn't come on even pedal down hard at 60% I do indeed have something going on. I will do a pack voltage test (not just yet as I'm just about to go away on hols) and post the results separately if they are interesting, or if I get any data that might be useful to others.

Like you I keep an eye on the meter and drive accordingly when I think it matters. Despite that I live at the top of a hill in a hilly area & its when I think there is plenty of charge left, and am not far from home (i.e. its not critical) that I pay less attention to the meter and sometimes trip the light.

So, for me, a *switchable* current limiter is desirable - I wouldn't want it on all the time though. I guess I also have the feeling that its kinder on the batteries and likely to extend their overall lifetimes - if that isn't the case there is less point in doing it and they may be more robust than I think.

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”