Berlingo Brake light modification

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:42 am

anachrocomputer wrote:Oooh, who said "PIC" just then?? Darn thing only has one register and has to use subterfuge just to get indirect addressing!

But seriously, if you're looking into microcontrollers for EV applications, do look at the Atmel AVR chips. They have 32 8-bit registers and a properly designed RISC instruction set. I have the programing gadget for them, as well as the assembler and C compiler (gcc).

One day, in my copious spare time, I'll get one wired up to the Mini-El as a battery monitor. And a GPS interface. Maybe I'll get it to make toast, too...

Now, forgive me, as I'm a bit of a programming virgin. But why would you need more than one register?
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

anachrocomputer

Postby anachrocomputer » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:50 am

aminorjourney wrote:Now, forgive me, as I'm a bit of a programming virgin. But why would you need more than one register?

Well, this is probably getting a bit off-topic, but say you want to add two numbers together. One number goes in the register, and the other... well, on the PIC it has to go in memory somewhere, whereas on the AVR it can go in one of the 31 other registers. Having lots of registers really saves messing about with lots of memory stores and loads.

It's also much better to have lots of registers when you're generating code from C or some other high-level language. The compiler can make a really good job of it on the AVR for that reason.
1994 Suzuki Cappuccino
1992 Mini-El electric bubblecar

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:53 am

Perhaps we could start a topic on this ?
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

gooroo

Postby gooroo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:16 pm

I dont actually have any preference for make or model of processor, I don't have a 'C' background, even when playing with PIC's I am used to using PICBasic and compiling before programming. It does not really concern me how the processor functions internally so long as it "does what it says on the tin".

My own experiances of PIC's come from building a robot for "Robot Wars"

Do Atmel have a Basic compiler for their series of processors? I don't really mind which I use and will have a look at the Atmel range for the hell of it? Am I going to require new programmers too???

Regards, Simon

Just took a quick look at the AVRTiny45 Automotive, lol, operating range 2.7-5.5V, thought it would at least contain onboard regulator :) Also are the all only surface mount?

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:19 pm

The Green Machine wrote:Chris - do you think we should have a seperate topic entiled PSA knowledgebase ? - or somesuch.
John

As some of you may know I started an easily updatable Service Manual and Owners Manual that are the ideal location to store the knowledgebase that you mentioned.

It started as a Berlingo FAQ as a thread which was diificult to keep tidy. It then became obvious that we needed something that was easily updatable, hence the http://www.wikibooks.org/

Please consider adding the information at the above links and reformatting as necessary.
The site is relatively easy to use. But if you need a hand then let me know.

Regards,
Rob

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:55 pm

The wikki site is great but I think John was possibly thinking more along the lines of indexing the PSA forum ??

I did a suggestion post HERE

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Badger

Postby Badger » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Hold on
WHAT IS GOING ON I have just noticed that my brake lights are coming on whenever regen kicks in. Has anyone actually checked that this is not happening to their Blingo. I know that i had assumed to begin with that they would not come on unless using the brakes, and so had a large sticker on the back door saying 'SINGLE GEAR Keep your distance'.This does seem to have the desired effect with most drivers although there is always one (usually behind me!)
I think it would be good if some owners check this out to see if this mechanism is standard but maybe no longer operating for some of us ??
I suggest a night time downhill is an easy way to check this.

Thanks all
Badger
you are more possible than you can powerfully imagine.

www.woodrum.co.uk

gooroo

Postby gooroo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:52 am

Hi Badger...

I must admit I have never checked, I just assumed that the brake lights only come on when you push the pedal. I will check now you mention it...

Also what year is your Berlingo? It could be a feature that was only added on later models. If it is it could be something written in to the ECU?

Regards, Simon

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:50 pm

Wow thats interesting , certainly I'm 100% sure that mine on a T plate 97/98 year DO NOT come on with regen :cry:

I've had folk follow me and comment that my brakelights dont work :cry: with the current wet weather I still (if I forget to left foot brake) hear folk skidding about at the rear of me cos they dont see the lights.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Badger

Postby Badger » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:39 pm

My blingo is a W reg made in 2000.
What about yours simon?
you are more possible than you can powerfully imagine.

www.woodrum.co.uk

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”