blingo batts

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
harry morris

blingo batts

Postby harry morris » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:31 pm

Hello everyone, can someone give me some simple numbers please, I want to charge 6 volt saft nicads individually, I have a good quality regulated dc power supply up to 10 amps 50 volts just want to know the right voltage and amps to trickle charge these cells these are all 2001 batteries, cheers HARRY MORRIS

ChrisB

Re: blingo batts

Postby ChrisB » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:24 pm

Not sure if you've seen this document but goes into the details of the STM's

I've never bench charged them, not sure they are suited to trickle charging TBH as you cant keep an eye on the water levels etc, but someone might have.

ChrisB
Attachments
saft STM tech.pdf
(578.42 KiB) Downloaded 582 times
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:30 pm

Hello Harry

Read the PDF that Chris linked to, but you might find the following useful for background information:
http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?c ... tail&id=92
Civil Aircraft Airworthiness Information and Procedures
Leaflet 9-7 Nickel Cadmium Batteries

Aircraft are the main users I know of for wet NiCads, and the CAAIP leaflet is a basic training document for aircraft maintenance engineers (like me).

Hope that helps.
Tim Crumpton

harry morris

Postby harry morris » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:08 pm

Thanks very much CRIS and TIM I have the SAFT tech manual but im'e afraid most of it is over my head, surley someone can say oh you need 10 volts and 5 amps and that's it iv'e made a loop of clear plastic tube from the vents so as to avoid loss of electrolyte, cheers HARRY

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:39 pm

Dont loop the pipe it has to be able to vent during charge.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:26 pm

harry morris wrote:Thanks very much CRIS and TIM I have the SAFT tech manual but im'e afraid most of it is over my head, surley someone can say oh you need 10 volts and 5 amps and that's it iv'e made a loop of clear plastic tube from the vents so as to avoid loss of electrolyte, cheers HARRY

Trouble is its not really that simple, especially when you look at water loss, cooling and charging regimes.

As Gumps says dont loop the vents :shock: they are vented for a reason :wink:

I might bench charge a battery in a real emergency but really the vans own charger does it so much better 8)

ChrisB

harry morris

Postby harry morris » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:38 pm

Well thanks again gents, but this does NOT answer my original question! I want to bench charge these 6 VOLT nicads and no one seems to be able to answer this problem, what I meant by a loop pipe is two clear plastic tubes from the vents to prevent electrolyte loss they are quite tall in fact, looks like I will have to experiment bit by bit until I have the answer wouldn't have thought charging a battery could be such a big deal, shows how much I know, cheers HARRY

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:34 pm

harry morris wrote:Well thanks again gents, but this does NOT answer my original question! I want to bench charge these 6 VOLT nicads and no one seems to be able to answer this problem, what I meant by a loop pipe is two clear plastic tubes from the vents to prevent electrolyte loss they are quite tall in fact, looks like I will have to experiment bit by bit until I have the answer wouldn't have thought charging a battery could be such a big deal, shows how much I know, cheers HARRY

I think it sort of does, as in its not the best thing to do :wink:

There shouldnt be any electrolyte loss :? there isnt when they are being charged in the Van, unless they have been incorrectly filled :?

I dont think your going to find much out by trying to trickle charging them TBH unless they are all very very flat, a quick run round with a voltmeter and load test each one will show up any dodgey ones pretty quickly.
I'm pretty sure I'm correct in saying these Nicads wont improve with a nice long slow charge unlike lead acids which can be recovered using this method.
The reason these generally die is normally down to cell failure internally and no amount of charging will recover it, as its a physical failure.

ChrisB

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:46 pm

Interesting link to the Aviation method for caring for your ni-cads. In particular the complete discharge of the cells and the use of shorting strips left on in excess of 16hrs before recharging.

The question is would our STM 100's benefit from this complete discharging then a recharge?

As for bench recharging, I can see no problem with a manual charge method (from complete discharge) of a 100 A/H battery of say 10 Amps for 8 hrs (this fills most of the bucket !) then 2 amps for 10 hours then an Amp for almost as long as you like as these SAFT cells have gas recombinant features that will allow gassing and recombination of the the H and O into water. The only other parameter to keep a carefull watch on is cell temperature.

John

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:49 pm

Flying John wrote:Interesting link to the Aviation method for caring for your ni-cads. In particular the complete discharge of the cells and the use of shorting strips left on in excess of 16hrs before recharging.

The question is would our STM 100's benefit from this complete discharging then a recharge?

I saw that but then thought most the issues we have are a physical seperator failure, cant see the above improving a physical failure :?

ChrisB

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”