Help! Berlingo battery replacements

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
moojw

Help! Berlingo battery replacements

Postby moojw » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:54 pm

Hi there, I work for a company that currently run two great Berlingo vans, but unfortunately one of them is now suffering. The traction batteries now only last for about 20-25 miles, we had some second hand cells replaced late last year, but unfortunately we are back in the same position.
To replace the new battery packs from a Citroen dealer we've been quoted loads
Pack with 4 cells £2,808.53
pack with 6 cells £4,187.50
pack with 11 cells £8,216.65
pack with 6 cells £4,187.50
Total of £19,400.00

I really wan't to keep these two going, but at that price I'm not sure my company will be at all interested.

Has anyone got some suggestions, all help much appreciated

Many thanks

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:41 pm

If you are lucky GrumpyB or Evan Tuer will have some left from their defunct vehicles. I'm sure they will be along in a moment to tell you.

Evan is currently investigating putting lithium batteries into a 106 Electrique, and I have a project on the go (slowly) to put lots of lithium in a Berlingo for increased range, at the expense of payload.

The lack of support from Citroen and Saft is a big problem with these vehicles now. My other Berlingo also has the reduced range that your vehicles do. I am limping along while the long range project takes shape, but if you are using yours for business you don't have that luxury.

I hope someone can help you.

P.S. Where in the country are you? Can you fill in the box in your profile, at least vaguely? GrumpyB is in Essex, Evan is in Fife. That may have a bearing on whose cells or help you choose to take.
Tim Crumpton

cianof

Postby cianof » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:51 pm

How old are the vans?

How old are the battery packs?

What kind of mileage have the vans done?

How often have the batteries been watered?

There were some cells advertised for sale recently here on the forums, they might still be available.

moojw

Postby moojw » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:06 pm

Thanks for your messages guys

Tim I'm in London, i've added that on now, thanks for the tip, I'm quite new to forums :)
Good luck with your Lithium project, let me know if you have some success if you can.

Cainof, the vans are both 2003, as far as I know the batteries are all original, bar the 9 cells changed last year.
As for the watering, we've been taking them to Citroen West for the battery servicing, they've been done on a regular basis, as soon as the lights come on we get them booked in, not a cheap process.
As for mileage, I'll have to have a look and get back to you, but I don't remember them being high.

Thanks again

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:33 pm

Grumpy-B has got some spare cells, I was going to take them myself but if you have more use for them ??

TBH you'd be far better off getting a EVlite from Evan and doing the battery watering yourself, it really isnt hard and from experience here it seems its far better to water them much earlier than waiting for the light to illuminate on the dashboard.

I'm surprised that 2003 batts have failed TBH as they where the better ones, unless of course the combination of late watering i.e allowing the light to come on before watering, and also poor driving technique i.e driving in the orange and red area may have caused them to fail, or they are high mileage ??

ChrisB

PS have moved your post into the PSA section of the site :wink:
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:51 pm

This looks like the old problem of too many miles / usage between watering. If you wait until the light come on, you stand a good chance of blowing up the cells, as the electrolyte is too low exposing the plates, if you then do a heavy power load even briefly the plates can buckle and poof, you ignite the hydrogen gas, if its a good explosion, it sounds like a steel toe boot kicking the floor. I do know of one chap who had the flame go through the vent kicking off another cell as well.

With my usage I get about 5-600 hrs in 2000 miles
I would invest in an evlite, it will pay for itself in a very short time, especially if you stop knackering cells.

You need to do a freshly charge battery pack voltage check, and a dischared check, post or send me the voltages. It will give an Idea how many cells you have down.

Im nr Colchester so not that far away
Grumpy-b
Last edited by Grumpy-b on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cianof

Postby cianof » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:52 pm

Wow 2003 vans with batteries that are failing. That's quite surprising.

Here's more on the EVlite.
http://www.tuer.co.uk/evlite.htm

It's better to water the vans batteries before the light comes on. EVlite lets you see how many AH of overcharge you have between watering.

moojw

Postby moojw » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:45 pm

ok I've started with purchasing the EVlite from Evan, I got the kit.

Evan says it should be here next week, he also sent me the manuals... that's a lot of info :? I'd better get reading

The steel toe booting the floor is exactly what we had when we had to replace the last cells, so it looks like everyones saying the same thing here and they sound spot on. Shame the guy who did the repair didn't say anything.

Hopefully we've not done too much damage and we can save that one, and the other van is ok at the moment so we should be able to keep that one from getting any problems.

ChrisB, thanks, are you sure you don't mind me getting my hands on those batteries if I need them, I don't know for sure yet but I'm guessing I'm going to need some.

moojw

Postby moojw » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:53 pm

oh and the mileages are low, I made a mistake on the years, we have quite a few vans in the fleet, but the second elec van is actually an 04

the 03 mileage is 22,840 and the 04 is 18,931

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:38 am

Ouch an 03 and 04 van with Knackered batts !.

I will be extra careful now as mine is up at 23,000 on an 03 plate. I do water fairly regularly and with only the finest pured steam distilled water !!

I hope this isnt an early warning for other late vans and a battery problems surfacing.

John
Last edited by Flying John on Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”