Roasted Controller Berlingo Electrique

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
harolddegouw

Postby harolddegouw » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:17 pm

Can anyone help me analysing the problem of this roasted controller? I made some pictures: pluginev.nl/broken.htm

The car was shown to me like you see it in the pictures. My first guess, it is the charger coil that is burned, but i am not sure.

It is very annoying not being able to post URL's, I hope you can find it though.
Last edited by harolddegouw on Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cianof

Postby cianof » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Hey harolddegouw,

From your description it seems that it is the DC/DC converter that has blown.
The DC/DC converter takes the high voltage from the traction battery and converts it to a lower voltage that is used to charge the 12 volt battery.
The main failure of the DC/DC converter is caused by a faulty 12 volt battery. When the DC/DC converter is trying to charge a battery that's not holding its charge the constant use of the converter will eventually wear it out.

If the fan comes on randomly when the van is sitting idle, this is a sign that your 12 volt battery needs replacing.

Disconnected/Reconnecting the 12volt in the wrong sequence can cause damage too.
To disconnect, remove fuse first, then disconnect the 12volt
To reconnect, connect 12volt, then insert fuse.

Evan Tuer repairs broken controllers.

http://www.tuer.co.uk/

His email address is on his website.

The body of the van in the pics is yellow, is it a french la poste van by any chance?

http://pluginev.nl/photo.htm

Very nice work there. Best looking E500 I've seen.

I remember seeing that berlingo on ebay a while back. It was sold with as a non runner. What was wrong with it?

ChrisB

Re: Roasted Controller Berlingo Electrique

Postby ChrisB » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:06 pm

harolddegouw wrote:
It is very annoying not being able to post URL's, I hope you can find it though.

But you can :?:

http://www.pluginev.nl/broken.htm

Looks like it could be a DC-DC failure as cianof says .

Dont suppose you could reduce the size of your avitar please? as you can see its rather large :!:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:28 pm

That scorch is exactly like mine. I sent the controller to Evan Tuer who fixed and tested it for a very reasonable sum of money.

As you suspect, the scorched module is the DC/DC converter, although the calculator board on the end looks toasted as well (just like mine). Are you sure that hasn't suffered its own failure? Evan can sort them both, anyway.

As Chris has said, your avatar picture is a bit big. Are you able to scale it down a bit, or do you need help doing that?

Glad to have you aboard!
Tim Crumpton

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:10 pm

Thats definitely the DC to DC convertor. If its just the track that has been burnt then its an easy repair, I did that to one of mine. Its actually a good thing, as the track on the board is slimmed down, and so it burns out before the main components. Cause, Duff 12 v battery .
If its more components that are shot then the repair could be more extensive. As to the computer section that mostly looks like smoke damage rather than component level damage.

Ivan is the man but I would suggest he have the whole unit then at least
you can be sure any damage and related damage elsewhere is sorted.

I am fitting a 50amp fuse into my feed on the multispace just toi help reduce the risk of the DC dto DC being stressed .

Grumpy-b

harolddegouw

Postby harolddegouw » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:56 pm

Cianof, Thanks, It is not a French la poste van. The cars are very very rare in Holland! Only in the UK and France they are better available.

pluginev.nl/photo.htm
Very nice work there. Best looking E500 I've seen.

Thanks, It is not finished yet. Have to go for the registration within shortly. The interior is from a 2007 Peugeot Partner Totem. And I still need some wheel caps to install. It was not cheap, and a lot of work, but it looks like new now and it has only 9000 miles.

It was sold with as a non runner. What was wrong with it?

The plug came loose from the cable. Remounted it, and the vehicle was charging and running perfectly after that.

ChrisB
I am not able to post URL's because I am too new on this forum. After 5 postings I can! Probably. That is also the reason that I could not post the pictures here. I changed my avatar, thanks

timpootle
Thanks, I will test it myself then I could contact Evan, with the results. I also know some guys in Germany and France who claim they can fix it.

Gumpy-b
Thanks, that is good news, I will check it out after I come back. I will inform you about the outcome. Hopefully I can post the picture here by that time.

Guys, thanks again you where from a great help. Sorry for my English, it could be better. :D

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:59 am

harolddegouw wrote:ChrisB
I am not able to post URL's because I am too new on this forum. After 5 postings I can! Probably. That is also the reason that I could not post the pictures here. I changed my avatar, thanks

My appologies :oops: forgot that the anti-spam was set for that, it does limit newbies a tadge but keeps the drug running spammers at bay as well :twisted:

It doesnt take long to rack up 5 posts TBH you'll soon be there :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

harolddegouw

Postby harolddegouw » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:27 pm

I made some pictures now of the DC-DC convertor, it is from a different car though, with a similar problem.
Last edited by harolddegouw on Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harolddegouw

Postby harolddegouw » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:29 pm

some tracks on the card board are burned.

harolddegouw

Postby harolddegouw » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:32 pm

Gumpy,

In July 2008 you posted a topic "Duff dc to dc convertor" I wonder if the place where the cardboard burned away is the same place. I try to post some pictures now!

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”