Berlingo Watering Problem

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
kof

Berlingo Watering Problem

Postby kof » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I have had great fun driving a Berlingo EV over 2500miles over the past year. So I came to do my first watering of the batteries - problems!! I followed the EVlite instructions, the battery maintenance charge and I got as far as the 'battery watering light' comes on - only it does'nt do so!!

After 18 hours still no battery watering light, so I decided to quit. On disconnecting from the power the light came on, so I figured lets go for the watering. However I calculate the batteries only took about 5L of water. The overcharge had been at 610aH before the maintenance charge and 670aH after the charge.

I have tried a 2nd maintenance charge, but after a further 18 hours, still no sign of the batery watering light.

Has anybody any thoughts?

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:02 pm

Not one I've come up against I must admit :?

Between maint charges did you discharge the batts at all ?

Generally it only adds about 5hrs extra, I think, to the normal charge time, thus if the batts are flat then its about 14-15hrs before the light comes on and less if the batteries arnt flat.

18hrs sounds very weird ?

First thing to check is the 12v aux battery as we seen all kinds of bizzare things happen when these are weak and in poor shape.

5ltrs sounds very little, I suspect the lines themselves would hold that on their own.

During the charge you didnt notice any fluid coming out of the drain off points ?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:14 pm

Hi I never had had the watering light come on with my evlite. I just cook it for about 24 hrs on regulo maintenance charge, then water, then clear the counter. Then clear the counter again and often try clearing it again. In never seems to do it first time. Never any problems though.

This is assuming a full charge at the same time. I always start at aor near to my economy 7 start time then the bulk of the big charge is done at cjheap rates, the topping up and periodic charging being in normal time

5+ ltrs is not unreasonable, I generally get through about 10ltrs each charge. Always about the same on three different berlingos, give or take a couple of ltrs.
Regards
Grumpy-b

kof

Postby kof » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi guys, thanks for getting back.

I was down at about 10% charge before doing the first maintenance. As I felt that 5L indicated a failure I did a further maintenance charge immediately without running down the batteries.

I will certainly look at the 12V battery - maybe I should replace it. I did'nt see any fluid coming from the EV although I did not specifically check - nothing suspicious on the ground anyway.

It is interesting that you feel 5L is not unreasonable - so maybe I'm ok to go!

kof

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:29 pm

Interesting, my EVlite always triggers the watering light without fail after the correct amount of time.

And I must admit I generally get through a good 15-20ltrs of water, but it seems others dont get through anything like that :?

ChrisB

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:33 pm

I have just done a water at 610 A/H and water light came on as usual after about 16 hours. Took about 5-6 litres - never used any more than that inthis Blingo and my last one.

I share the problem of resetting the water light even with the DIAG 2000 it sometimes takes twoor three goes.
John

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:38 pm

Wierd, never had any probs resetting the light either and how come I'm using so much more water :?

ChrisB

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:03 pm

I do mine litre by litre and generally lose about 200 mls on each pack for the "overflow". How much do you allow to overflow Chris.

cianof

Postby cianof » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:10 pm

According to the evlite manual, you should let a 1/2 liter flow from each of the drains so that there are no bubbles left in the system.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:59 am

Yeah recon I lose a good litre of water off the drains, as cianof says generally wait until all the bubbles have stopped coming out and its flowing nicely.

Couple of times on the rear pack I've had it start overflowing and discharge about 1/4 ltr and then it stops for say 4-5 seconds before starting again and thus I wait until all signs of bubbles have gone and I know its definately nice and full and unlikely to have skipped a battery.

So I suppose I could be losing a good 5ltrs on my top ups that way, but then I'm using 15-20lrts so that still means I'm getting through 10-15ltrs

ChrisB

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”