Another one bites the dust

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
Grumpy-b

Another one bites the dust

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:23 pm

One of my Blingos bit the dust today.
It just hit the 62 mph cut out going down the Orwell bridge, then the ECO Meter went mad and the van shuddered briefly before happily coasting along.
Electronics are dead. Very Dead, in fact I think they have even been to the crematorium judging by the smell from the Control box.
So happy times to get this one sorted now.
31000 on the clock
Grumpy-b

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:52 pm

Does it smell like expensive silicon? I know that smell well :roll:

Hope you get it fixed OK
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:13 pm

Thanks, more like the smell of £20 notes being burned by the handfull.
Still I shant know whats going on until I open it up.
Evan has one of mine in for repair at the moment, getting ready for my new Multispace, so hopefully that will come home soon, and then I still have a spare so all is not lost and gloom.
Plenty to check out but since Im going away on Holiday at the end of the week I guess this will have to wait a couple of weeks.

Could be worse!!! Not sure how though.

Grumpy-b

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:00 pm

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like your multispace is getting close though *looks carefully for silver lining*
Tim Crumpton

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:08 pm

Oh dear :cry:

I wonder if it was the dreaded flash over ???

Really worries me when we see them go poof, makes me wonder how long before I have an issue :?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

gwing

Postby gwing » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:58 am

Ouch, sorry to hear of your troubles :cry:

Fortunately you seem to have the spares/replacement bits in hand so its not a disater. It really seems that we need to get organised here and get one or two non runners between us that can be cannibalised for spares - its not just the batteries we need it seems.

Although I don't have an immediate need for stuff I'm willing to chip in towards a donor vehicle - do we have anyone in the group who has space/time/facilities to break a store and break a vehicle though?

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:02 am

In an ideal world that is what we need, then again do we live in an idea world :(

Trouble is the Blingo is just too good (when there running) I remember similar problems cropping up with yee olde Bedford CF Electric, parts got harder and harder to source, spares where going for huge amounts, then as the vehicles started to die, body work and battery wise, they started to become a lot cheaper to the point you almost couldnt give them away.

What we really need is a replacement Blingo to come on the market that folks will want to upgrade to and thus bringing a lot of second hand Blingos to the market.

Half the problem is about 3yrs ago a lot of folks paid a lot of money for very broken vehicles I think, certianly I've seen ones with battery problems and controller issues sell for well over £4000 :shock: these sad vans appear to have dissappeared, havent seen them around for sometime now so can only presume they are sat on folks drives in the vain hope they will appreciate in value maybe ???

We could do with those vans re-appearing for parts, off the top of my head theres at least 6 I can recal, may be more, that I passed on when I was looking for a van. They would do the rounds on E-bay and either wouldnt sell or would sell for huge amounts with problems, 4mths later they would be back on e-bay :roll:

ChrisB

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:21 pm

The electronics really seem to be toast.
EVlite wont connect.
Interestingly when I went back to it last night to have a better look. The power was still connected, nothing worked, except that the small balck relay box on the side of the controller was happily tapping out a slow ticking noise. This is part of the fan/ pump controll system, I think.
Having taken the controller apart nothing has an appearance of having been toasted, despite the smell.
I will look at my spare unit, but I am now considering breaking the van, it was going to be sold once the Multispace was completed, so I may as well take it off the road now.
If anyone has an interest in SAFT Cells plese let me know their needs (PM Please), it may make my decision easier. I not only have this set but do have a few other post 2001 cells. I wont sell the 98 ones as these dont seem too good. Voltages look good but they do seem to fail more.
Im located between Ipswich and Colchester if location for collection is an issue.
I will do a for sale post, once I have checked out the spare controller. But I am almost certain its not going back on the road.
Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:26 am

Grumpy-b wrote:If anyone has an interest in SAFT Cells plese let me know their needs (PM Please),

Stand by for a influx of PM's :lol:

Thats really good of you if you do decide to break the battery packs up as there are a few vehicles that are currently in need :)

ChrisB

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:36 pm

What would it take to use a dead Berlingo as the basis for a "conversion", I wonder?

My guess is that one could probably bin all of the standard electric parts that were toasted, including the motor, maybe, and just fit some new LiFePO4 cells, standard controller and a new motor. Might well be cheaper than looking for rare Citroen/Peugeot spares and would probably be easier than converting an ICE vehicle, as the basics are already sorted (battery box, transmission etc).

The only tricky bit might be separating out the wiring and finding a way to drive the displays, but even that might be easier than trying to repair standard controllers etc.

Just a thought, but it might be that a cheap (!) duff Berlingo could be resurrected as an EV in a different guise.

Jeremy

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”