Repairs: Brake vaccum being lost

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
Richard Elliott

Postby Richard Elliott » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:22 am

Ah well, you live and learn. Apart from the Berlingo, my modern car is a Triumph Herald or a Morris Traveller............ Didn't have such complications in them days!!!

Richard E

EVguru

Postby EVguru » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:54 am

The only cars I know of with truly 'power brakes' are the cars equipped with the Citroen 'Oleo-pneumatic' self levelling suspension system. The brake systen that went along with it is very on/off, particularly the early versions with no brake pedal, just an 'Orange' on the floor. If the drive belt to the hydraulic pump fails you have almost no brakes, incredibly heavy steering and quite likely supension lowered to the deck. Not fun!

Early on, disc brakes required much higher hydraulic line pressures than the drums they replaced and servo assist was required. The brakes improved greatly, but the servo became a fashion or marketing feature and many cars that simply didn't need one had a servo fitted. Often the servo is valved very aggresivly to 'inspire confidence' in the brakes. This often results in difficulty in avoiding lock-up in slippery conditions. I can remember driving my un-servoed X1/9 (nearly 1 TON) down an icy road with no problem, but later driving my Mother's 205 (only about 750Kg) down the same road after conditons had thawed a bit. It was simply impossible to brake gently enough to avoid locking the wheels because of the servo action. Vauxhall were also guilty of sharply valved servos.

Many cars can simply have their servos bypassed. By this I mean by building a 'dummy' servo. An unpowered servo actually takes a lot of effort to operate. There is often a smaller bore cylinder available from another model which can help lighten things up.

The servo has been made somewhat obsolete by ABS, which often uses an electrically powered hydraulic pump. Dealing with a 100 Amp 12v load can be a bit of a challenge though!
Paul

http://www.compton.vispa.com/scirocco/
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.compton.vispa.com/the_named

andersonian

Vacuum pump issues

Postby andersonian » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:14 pm

Greetings from up North! How did you guys fare in sorting your vac pump problem - mine runs for about 30 secs and then stops for 3 secs. Were you able to repair it or did you have to replace it?

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:14 pm

I have received the new pump but I am still waiting for the control switch.
Will let you know how it goes.

Richard Elliott

vaccuum system

Postby Richard Elliott » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:45 am

Have been out of circulation for three months after being struck down with meningitus. Interested to see this subject still running. My Berlingo has been sitting about whilst I was ill. Now I'm back to using it again the occasional glitch with the vaccuum pump is now more frequent. It sucks up a vaccuum in the system on switch on but then is slow to create further vaccuum on using the brakes, so now and then it requires a heavy brake application to achieve stopping. With the amount of regen braking its not a problem you notice much except in an emergency!!!! So, it sounds from what is being said that their is a sensor switch that activates the pump when more 'suck' is needed? Is this right and is it anywhere getatable - or next to the pump!!!

Richard Elliott

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:28 pm

Hi Richard,

Sorry to hear you have been well. Glad you are back in circulation.
Are you fully recovered now ?
(I had mild ME some years ago and was off work for 3 months as well. But Meningitus sounds terrible).

Re: Pump sensor, I haven't actually seen it (I have a mobile mechanic who is prepared to work on electric vehicles - they are like gold dust). Anyway, he said that the sensor is attached to the pump.

Although, when you order it, the pump and sensor are sold separately so beware.

Your setup sounds like it is the sensor and it is getatable. It is by one of the front reals (I think it was the near-side).

Good luck.

Regards,
Rob

andersonian

Postby andersonian » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:48 pm

Have replaced the vacuum switch (obtained from Citroen at an extortionate cost) and am pleased to find it now runs for 30 sec and then stops for about 4 min.

richard e

vaccuum switch

Postby richard e » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:14 pm

A brief summary of how to fit the new switch would be useful - like where is it and how to go about the job. My vaccuum pump only goes when you start up now, so after a view dabs on the brake pedal you have to be careful to use your foot like an elephant (or just like driving my A35!)

Richard E

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 am

Looks like this is a standard problem this vac switch mmmmmmm

If I get a chance I'll try and have a dig about on my spare van and locate said switch and take some pics :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

andersonian

Postby andersonian » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:32 pm

If you look through the drivers side wheelarch towards the motor you'll see the pump and switch. I think mine is missing a plastic splash guard so you may need to remove that. The switch is held on by the Torx head bolt visible in the centre. There are two connectors to detach and also the small vacuum tube coming in from the left hand side.

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”