PSA Peugeot 106 Electric

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:53 am

Unfortunately, on this occasion I didn't bother monitoring it :-(

On both occasions I did a full (but not specifically a balancing charge).

Anyway, it would be interesting for anyone who gets a new vehicle that has been standing a long time to do some formal tests, eg.

-Normal charge
-Range check
-Balancing charge
-Range check
-Maintenance charge
-Range check.

As we are not planning on changing the 106 and this Berlingo it is unlikely to me ;-)

Anyway, the wife is very happy with 106 and even with me in it as well it is actually quite nippy (I use the Berlingo all the time and no ICE).

EVan

Postby EVan » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:09 pm

The range will increase each time simply because you're improving the capacity of the batteries by using them, even if you just use the normal charge.
And they'll probably be warmer on each cycle which will help too. So I don't think this test would tell you anything you didn't already know.

One reason I suggest to do a balance charge first is that it makes this process quicker (you'll get almost the full range on the first cycle).

But mainly, because if you use the normal charge after sitting for a long time and then drive until it's flat to test the range, you are probably doing damage to the lowest cells by reversing them at high current.

Perhaps this is over-cautious of me, but I like to give the battery the best chance of survival :)

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:02 pm

Good point.
Thanks for that Evan.

Rob

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:19 pm

Have split this topic off the Brush topic to save confusion :wink:

Yep pretty sure as you say if it had been standing about for long then the units loose water due to evaporation, must admit I think you've been lucky with it 8) I'd still be careful of those pre 2000 cells mind you and treat them with respect :wink:

Watering is a very important thing for the saft cells, think we're all in agreement with that one 8)

Like you EVan after having the nightmare of cells going pop you tend to give them the best chance they have :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

mikedain

Postby mikedain » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:05 am

EVan wrote:One reason I suggest to do a balance charge first is that it makes this process quicker (you'll get almost the full range on the first cycle).

How does one manually perform a balance charge on the berlingo?

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:23 pm

mikedain wrote:
EVan wrote:One reason I suggest to do a balance charge first is that it makes this process quicker (you'll get almost the full range on the first cycle).

How does one manually perform a balance charge on the berlingo?

The only way to carry out a manual balance charge is via the EVlite unit and selecting it.

I have personally found you can force a balance charge by not allowing it to complete a full charge, it does appear if you dont allow it to carry out a complete charge over about 3 or so cycles then the next charge does appear to be a balance charge, normally the ECU will carry out a balance charge on its own every 10 or so cycles I think ??

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:36 pm

This is a quick update. It's been a long time but worth it.

Thanks to grumpy for the batts and a lot of help and support from francois we have managed to swap out about 4 cells from the front lower pack and now have a working 106 Electrique.

After charging each cell individually (see individual sense wires latter) and a normal charge I have been using it as much as possible for about 100 miles before Sylvia starts using it in urnest for her 6 commute to work. It has been working well getting about 47 miles range until light comes on (driving upto mid orange on eco meter and about 40 mph average).

One thing I have done and will do in future is when ever removing battery pack is to add individual voltage sensing wires out to a terminal block so that all cells can monitored. This gives great confidence and is well worth doing if you have to remove a block for any reason.

We both went out in it today and while Sylvia went to a shop I got my pen knife out modified the electric window switch housing so that switches fit in the reverse direction, i.e. furthest away is "up" and nearest is "down" which sounds a lot more sensible to us - maybe it is an English thing :wink:

Will keep you informed on general progress (waiting eagerly for Evan's 106 Electrique Lithium conversion)

EVan

Postby EVan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:04 pm

Good to see a happy 106 owner :)

Stay tuned for my one.

gwing

Postby gwing » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:37 pm

Good plan, and one I might follow when I do some battery checks next.

Have you found any sensible waterproof terminals to use for this? The thought of having high voltage chocablocks or similar dangling around is a bit scary :)

arsharpe wrote:
One thing I have done and will do in future is when ever removing battery pack is to add individual voltage sensing wires out to a terminal block so that all cells can monitored. This gives great confidence and is well worth doing if you have to remove a block for any reason.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:54 pm

I did this to my Berlingo a while back. I terminated the cables in chocolate block , housed in a small plastic box near each pack. I was going to use 24 way d connectors but my cable was just too thick. I used conventional Automotive colour coded cable. Its jsut too thick to use in such sockets. If I did it again I would use cable as thin as possible such as in ribbon cable, and use a waterproof D connector. Then you could have a simple switch box to plug in a read the voltages.
It has proved to be really useful in isolating possible duff cells and being able to simply keep an eye on them as they have been charged and discharged.
I plan to do this again on the multispace as the battery packs get sorted out.
The other advantage of using such tiny cable is that any accidental shorting out could be quite limited in damage, my higher amp cable could make quite a mess if it did short out. I guess you could put a resistor in each cable at the battery end to limit power in a short condition, but I think I would rather use very thin cable.

Grumpy-b

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”