Long range lithium conversion

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
timpootle

Re: Long range lithium conversion

Postby timpootle » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:02 am

3-day weekend, and slow progress is made. Oil is in, brushes are back in, good tyres are back on and car is on the ground.

Next job is repairing the controller before fitting it in its new position (back-to-front from original installation). Repair is to de-coupling capacitor tabs that always get bent or broken when you lift the lid off the controller. Simple soldering I hope.

Then to polish all the cell terminal faces (306 of them!) and test the charger.
Tim Crumpton

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:24 pm

The older ones didnt have those in the top casing. Not sure if they are that important. My van definitely doesnt have them.

Grumpy_b

timpootle

Feb progress report

Postby timpootle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:37 pm

I have polished flat all 306 terminals (2 per cell, 153 cells). I have moved all the cells back into the van, and refitted the stud terminals using Noalox bought from GregsGarage (with some much needed help from Howard Eco-wheels). I am now in the process of strapping the cells together; high current straps first, then add the BMS/balance loom afterwards.

I managed to get half the pack installed back-to-front (twice) but thankfully spotted my mistake before connecting them in a circle of big blue sparky melty explosion. Check your work, folks - better still, work as a team.

All straight now (I think) and the next job once the easy straps are fitted will be to install the long thick lead from the back of the car to the 18 cells under the bonnet. Some fuses would probably be a good idea, too.

Pics to follow.
Tim Crumpton

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:01 pm

Pics to follow. Honestly.

I have emailed Dave Cowperthwaite to ask him, but does anyone here know where I can get Nickel plated Copper strip of the same style as supplied by HiPower, but a bit longer to go between cells which are end-to-end (80mm between centres) rather than the 60mm between centres you get by putting cells side-by-side? My straps are just a bit short in this location.

Peter? Greg?

I may end up making my own from 35mm welding cable and crimp lugs, but flat straps would be neater.
Tim Crumpton

harry morris

Postby harry morris » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:54 am

Tim congratulations, your doing it, even im'e getting nervous now ha ha make the connecting strips yourself get some 15 mm copper pipe flatten in a vice drill to size double the thickness if you wish and bobs your auntie,nice meeting you at last!!! cheers HARRY

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:12 pm

The 15mm pipe solution is the cheapest and easiest to be honest.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:08 pm

timpootle wrote:I may end up making my own from 35mm welding cable and crimp lugs, but flat straps would be neater.

If you do this let me know and I will bring my crimper over.

Otherwise would something like this do?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COPPER-FLAT-BAR-30mm-x-3mm-600mm-LONG-NEW-/250612432168?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item3a59aa3d28

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:01 am

If you do a search for Non Ferous Bar, you will get a number of returns.
There are at least a couple of suppliers in the midlands that can do exactly what you need. If Bar is too costly then get some 3mm / 1/8 sheet and get it cropped by your local engineering company with a large guilotine. Dont do it by hand as it will just curl up.
Potentially much better than flattening copper tube.

Grumpy-b

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:51 pm

Thank you all. You don't think I should be worrying about getting the copper bar nickel plated then?

NightTrain - Yes, I'll be calling on you and your crimpers soon.
Tim Crumpton

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:If you do a search for Non Ferous Bar, you will get a number of returns.
There are at least a couple of suppliers in the midlands that can do exactly what you need. If Bar is too costly then get some 3mm / 1/8 sheet and get it cropped by your local engineering company with a large guilotine. Dont do it by hand as it will just curl up.
Potentially much better than flattening copper tube.

Grumpy-b

Or if you know someone with a Plasma cutter then that should cut it nicely and not cause it to curl up

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”