Battery Watering

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
cianof

Battery Watering

Postby cianof » Thu May 15, 2008 4:04 pm

My local pharmacy sells purified water in 5L bottles. I'm not sure what the exact process is for purification. They said that it has a 1 month shelf life. Would this be okay for battery watering, or does the water have to be Deionized water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deionized_water

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Thu May 15, 2008 6:01 pm

Best to used distilled since it is purified by distilation.

I bought a 25litre container from my local Automotive factor for about £10.

Jihn

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Fri May 16, 2008 9:31 pm

What's the difference between distilled and de-ionised ?

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Fri May 16, 2008 9:39 pm

Distilled is boiled water that is turned into steam then condensed onto a cold plate and collected, thereby leaving behind all the impurities 100%.

De-ionised is just the ions taken out. That is all the mineral salts and contaminants.

It sa question of degrees of purity with tap water being the least pure then de-ionised, then distilled, then double distilled or "Bidest Water".

JOhn

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat May 17, 2008 12:00 am

You sure that your motor factors sold you Distilled John :?

I've only ever found them flogging de-ionised in 25ltrs

Yes distilled or even double distilled is best but I've always used normal de-ionised stuff and todate it hasnt/dosnt seem to have caused any issues although I dont wouldnt like to say what the long term effect is ?

Generally de-ionised is just well filtered tap water .......but I do mean well filtered and not just through a bit of gauze.

One tip is make sure you dont use ANYTHING that may have come into contact with normal Pb/lead acid batteries as this will kill Nicads

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat May 17, 2008 7:40 am

I used to work in a researh laboratory and we would use de ionised water. we had our own plant to make it. It most certainly is not just water run through a filter paper. It's similar though to a water softener device but pretty big by comparison,

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Sat May 17, 2008 7:50 am

They are actually a motor factor/garage that makes their own distilled water. They have their own plant - it definately boiled it and condenses it.
Last edited by Flying John on Sat May 17, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat May 17, 2008 10:46 am

qdos wrote:I used to work in a researh laboratory and we would use de ionised water. we had our own plant to make it. It most certainly is not just water run through a filter paper. It's similar though to a water softener device but pretty big by comparison,

I never said it was :lol: we had a filter unit at a place I use to work at for the 30 or so Bedford CF electrics they had and the filter tower was all most 6 foot tall, you fed tap water in one end and deionised came out the other..............quiet slowly :wink:

The Green Machine wrote:They are actually a motor factor that makes their own distilled water. They have their own plant - it definately boiled it and condenses it.

Wow that does surprise me :shock: I've never heard of a motor factors making their own, it must be a fairly expensive way of doing it , wonder why they do it that way and not buy in :?

Keep an eye on the plant John and grab it if they ever look like they might be going to get shot of it :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Sat May 17, 2008 2:06 pm

I think it was a thing they inherited frorm a college. This company serviced the needs of invalid carriages and they used to have it running (almost permanently) at the back of the workshop. They were not only supplying bits for fords and other cars but mending these invalid carriages too.

I understood it had to be inspected every so often by Customs and excise, incase they were making pocheen.

NickJ

Postby NickJ » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:39 pm

I recently bought a battery water deioniser to ensure a fresh reliable supply of water for the batteries in our blingo. It was not cheap but I also work with other batteries for solar systems and it does the job there too. Deionised water is "best fresh" and should not be left lying around in opened containers for too long. If anyone is in the north wales area and wants some de-ionised water (and a charge up of the EV whilst you wait!) let me know, the water costs me around 0.3p per litre so Im sure I could spare a few litres!

Nick

ps Im very fond of eccles cakes if you do visit :D

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”