Heater repair

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
ChrisB

Heater repair

Postby ChrisB » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:50 pm

Well one casualty of the battery change in mine was the heater packing up :roll: not to urgent fix at the moment but it does get a bit chilly on evening drives.

Right I've located the dosing pump for the heater and its up behind the rear axle tube, what a lovely place to put it NOT :evil:

Total nightmere to get to as its sandwiched between the tank and the rear cross member and center batt pack etc you can see it but getting to it is going to be much more fun.

The small blue wire off the top of the heater appears to be the supply wire for the dosing pump and the black wire is the trigger to get the heater to run, the other two bigger cables on the other plug are the pos and neg for heater itself these are live the whole time it appears.

Having connected a voltmeter to ends of the cable where the pump is located I'm only getting a 11.23 volts :cry: and its not going on and off which is what its suppose to do :cry: which does look like its a heater fault rather than a pump fault :cry:

Lucky I have a spare from the other van, I cant believe just changing the batts has buggered up the heater :?:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:49 pm

Right............ rushed home today with the intention of pulling the heater and swapping it with the spare unit.

But before doing that I did wonder about carrying out the test as in the trouble shooting manual from Robins site, OK so its not the exact same heater as Robin explains but its dam close
http://www.rmsconsult.co.uk/berlingo/fi ... g_Tree.pdf
Anyhow it says to connect a 12v bulb to the connector of the dosing pump and it should start to flash after 30 secs, so as one last try I thought I would just see what would happen, to be honest I didnt expect anything.
So I found a 12v 3W bulb which I felt was reasonable, but rather than struggle under the van I pulled the connector off the heater ( leaving the main supply connected ) and connected the light to the pin were the blue wire would have connected (pin 6 from memory but dont take that as 100% but it is the blue wire pin on the heater ) and then I fed the heater a 12v+ direct from the battery to pin 1 or where the black wire goes onto, think its pin 1 .

Anyhow as I thought the heater fans fired up, when low and behold after 30 secs the bulb started to flash !!!!!! so whats going on ??

Right so with that I disconnected the make shift light assembley and connected the heater back up how it should be and pulled the fuel line off the heater and fired it back up again.

This time after 30 secs a steady if very small flow of petrol came out of the pipe 8) so with that I stuffed the pipe back on the heater and waited...........thinking well its got fuel the fans are running its now down to the internals to do their stuff and within about 20 secs I heard the muffled roar of the exhaust as they do when they fire.
OK it was a bit hit and miss to start with and appeared to go out several times over the next five mins but it re-lite itself and started to settle down to what sound like an even burn.

The water started to warm up nicely and everything "seems" fine !!! 8)

Well I thought it needs to be shut down and re-start a couple of times before I'll be really happy so I switched her off and allowed it to run down as they do, then restarted her...........this time she was much happier and lit within about 2 secs of the pump starting which is how it should be, also the burn seemed much more stable, so I left her running for about 10 mins and then checked the over heat part by turning off the vans interior heater fan and allowing the temp to increase to the cut off which is did and at about 80C ( measured on the outside of a pipe) the heater went into over temp and shut the burner down , I turned on the vans heater van to number 1 and waited for the temp to fall and low and behold the heater re-lit again 8)

So it all looks to be fine now ...............so what was wrong ?? who knows.

One thing that does spring to mind is that I left the heater with the power disconnected over night as I was intending to remove it today, so perhaps there was a software clich or the output transistor or what ever supplies the output to the dosing pump was stuck for some reason I dont know, all I do know is its working again and I'm a happy bunny once again.

I have to admit I dont like it when I dont find the reason for something not working and then working again for no apparent reason :? but hey ho its working for now, and I now know where the pump is and what connector does what which is always good.

ChrisB

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat May 05, 2007 10:08 pm

mmmmm well that didnt last long :evil:

Wont fire up again :roll:

More fiddling required, I did suspect this to be honest :cry:

ChrisB

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon May 07, 2007 6:41 pm

OK this is doing my head in now,

Went out for a fiddle this afternoon, inbetween the bank holiday showers :roll:

Hooked up the little light and fired it all up...........30secs and the little light starts to flash away a good'n

So connected 12volts to the pump and dabbed it on and off and it seemed to pump, connected it all back up and away she goes :evil:

So whats the issue ??

ChrisB

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed May 09, 2007 9:36 pm

Heres a little video of the light flashing to give you an idea of what you should see.

Note that the light flashes much more regularly than what you see on the video , this is due to frame rates and compression etc which is why it looks a bit random, but it gives to the idea, click on the picture below to see the video.

For the record the heater is still working but I'm trying to use it everyday currently and I think the problem is stale fuel gumming the pump up.

ChrisB

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed May 23, 2007 10:42 am

Yep seems to be the pump gets stuck if its not used and the heater dosnt have enough oooomph to pulse the pump to un-stick it so a quick 12v battery pulse sorts the problem out.

So to over come this I now hit the heater switch as I drive off in the morning and allow it to fire up, run for a min and then turn it off, since then its been fine 8)

ChrisB

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:14 pm

New or not so new issue keeps happening which the dam heater keeps stopping for no apparent reason :cry:

It just seems to die, can be working fine for 10-15mins and then its like it runs out of fuel and goes out, the ECU then detects a no flame situation and puts the heater into shut down mode and it goes off after a few mins :evil: turning the heater off and on again and it will re-light again :?

I'm wondering if I've got a blocked filter somewhere ??

ChrisB

jezf

Postby jezf » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi Chris

I discovered this morning that my heater is no longer working too! Admittedly, it hasn't been used for some months, and so i'm guessing that stale fule is blocking the pump. It was fine at last use.

I connected pin1 to positive on 12v battery, and pin6 to negative on 12v battery, but I got nothing. This is in order to get the pump going, correct? (I left the main supply connected)

It seems I have different coloured wires to you, see pic (apologies for poor quality!)
http://www.appc78.dsl.pipex.com/blingo/IMG00158.jpg[/url]

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:52 pm

Pin connections should be the same I suspect just different coloured wires I'd suspect :?

Do remember though that the pumps a pulse pump that MUST be pulsed to work, just connecting to a constant 12v supply wont make it do anything , well apart from one pulse, disconnect the supply and you get another pulse, on each pulse it will pump a small measured amount of fuel, and it is small. We are talking not much more than a few mill from memory.

If the pumps stuck I found by pulsing it about a dozen times directly off those terminals with a good 12v supply (taken directly off the 12v aux) and disconnecting the fuel inlet pipe and waited until I got a fuel at the end of the pipe as I described and then hooked it up and it seemed fine.

I still have my going out issue with mine but I think this is due to crud in the tank OR water or a blocked filter I recon near the pump.

Another job that needs to be looked at before the winter :oops:

ChrisB

jezf

Postby jezf » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:46 pm

Thanks Chris, I will try that.

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”