Who is looking to buy a new electric car this year?

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
MB

Who is looking to buy a new electric car this year?

Postby MB » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:19 am

Renault are just launching their new Twizy and Fluence electric cars, Peugeot have announced a price cut on their iOn EV and Mitsubishi and Nissan have extended the number of dealers now selling their electric cars. I'm just curious as to how many people on this forum are planning to buy a brand new electric car this year.

If not, what is stopping you (unless you bought one last year!) Are they just too expensive, too impractical or is the car of your dreams just not available yet?
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

Kevin Sharpe

Re: Who is looking to buy a new electric car this year?

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:16 pm

MB wrote:I'm just curious as to how many people on this forum are planning to buy a brand new electric car this year.
ZCW has five staff and we have a Tesla and Leaf in daily use. We hope to add an Ampera, ZOE, and something else, this year so that everyone is driving the majority of miles on renewable electricity.
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:57 pm

I'm going to convert one of my Insights, so that will be ultra econmical as far as wh/mile is concerned.
No plans to buy a new car ever. It's not something I do.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

theinsightfullone

Postby theinsightfullone » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:23 pm

I currently (no pun intended) drive a 2001 Honda Insight, however, I am looking at adding to my "Eco collection" shortly by buying a Renault Twizy, as I understand it, as a Ltd Company I can claim 100% tax relief on it in the first 12 months of ownership, added to that the fact that the commute into Bristol every day would suit one of these pefectly, I am off for a test drive as soon as my local dealers demo is registered.

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:03 pm

Off topic but related, I was perusing these yesterday:

http://www.motors.co.uk/used/cars/nissan/leaf

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/nissan/leaf

Seems the 2nd hand price is under 20k and the mileage often sub-minimal. Were these pre-reg'd and not sold?
For anyone doing 60 miles a day and charging overnight these will work out to be just about the cheapest car to own on the road. Just about the quietest, best equipped and most comfy too!

dillond666

Postby dillond666 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:55 pm

retepsnikrep wrote:No plans to buy a new car ever. It's not something I do.

I'm with Peter on buying new cars. Even looking at the second hand ones, even if I had 20K burning a hole in my pocket I wouldn't waste it on a car.

I'd probably waste twice as much to make something inferior myself!............but I'd be happier :lol:

D

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:56 pm

D,
you have it in one. I'm thinking nothing of a £2,500 motor (60KW peak) and a suitable controller for £4k for my trike when most middle aged petrol cars on the road are worth about 2~3K.

However, petrol cars are more like hire purchase. You pay a little deposit and pay loads to run it until the car is pronounced dead in the hands of the MOT man.

nuvola95

Postby nuvola95 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:33 pm

This year I want to buy a new electric truck of the alke company which is characterized by a great sale price and for the truly outstanding performance, making it suitable for both city and countryside driving.

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:35 pm

If anyone wants a Vauxhall Ampera. You had better be quick!

They are getting auctioned off. Then that's it from GM.

Rory166

Postby Rory166 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:04 pm

Hi All

I bought a Leaf in May. It was registered by the dealer in January 14 and had 40 miles on the clock. At 13,500 i Thought this was a bargain and is the only new car I have ever bought, well nearly new I suppose. I can see no reason why lots more people are not chasing deals like this. Long journeys are slow but easily do-able. Nissan seem to have copied BMW and are giving out loan cars to new leaf owners for long trips, that seems like a great idea, 370Z anybody? I must admit I still use my BMW 320d for long trips. Last Friday I did 200 miles in the morning at 63 mpg, how much better would an ampera be I wonder? Let us Know when the auction is.

Rory
Electric Seicento conversion, Leaf

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”