Mega Pick Up. Any long term issues?

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
Night Train

Mega Pick Up. Any long term issues?

Postby Night Train » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:15 am

My other half's employer is looking to purchase two Mega Pick Up trucks to use for inner city waste collection services.
Having visited and spoken with Bluebird and ePower they have decide to go with Mega as a replacement for the aging Bradshaw FB2 they are currently using.

Does anyone have any long term experience of the Mega electric trucks in terms of reliability, battery life, wear and tear, etc that may be useful to know about before any financial commitment?

Many thanks for any advice.

retepsnikrep

Re: Mega Pick Up. Any long term issues?

Postby retepsnikrep » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:39 am

Common sense EV advice applies.

If it uses pb technology and you use the range to near the max rekon on new batteries every couple of years IMHO.

If you can keep the discharge level down and opportunity charge as much as possible you might get three years.

Just my two penneth based on fiddling around with EV's for 25 years. Do they do a lithium option?
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

Night Train

Re: Mega Pick Up. Any long term issues?

Postby Night Train » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:48 pm

Thank you, I don't think they do a lithium version though.
The range is stated as 62 miles and the current vehicle only does about 20 miles a day at most and two vehicles would be replacing the one. The current Bradshaw only just manages to do the day's work if it is in peak condition with warm fresh batteries and a top up charge at lunch time. If the new vehicles are fully utiised I think they would be looking at around 30-40 miles between them fully loaded.

It would be stop start progress though for most of the rounds with about 3 miles straight run to and from base and the vehicles would probably be stored outdoors all year round but maybe under cover.

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”