EV thieving little g!ts !!

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
geekygrilli

EV thieving little g!ts !!

Postby geekygrilli » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:12 am

Hi guys

I think this is teh second case on here of someone stealing, or attempting to steal a converted car....

Saturday morning I went outside into my quite, leafy North London suburban street to find a rear window smashed on my little Cinquecento. I first thought they'd broken the windoiw to get to the controller, maybe thinking it was an amplifier or some other piece of chavtastic ICE.

Turns out, however, they'd actually tried nicking my car. Luckily they hadn't damaged anything else and had just pulled all the wiring out from under the dashboard and steering cowling - which, to an untrained theiving b@stard is a confusing tangle. They also hit my BIG RED STOP BUTTON, so if they had managed to hot wire it, they wouldn't have got very far.

I am disappointed that they didn't get into the High Voltage side of things an give themselves a nasty shock.

Turns out they smashed 5 cars' windows at 4 am saturday morning, making a mess of 2 of the cars' steering columns, rendering them undrivable. Interestingly they chose only older cars, and even then failed to nick any of them. A few had alarms - and mine has a read flashing light on the dashboard - for the battery voltage display.

Two owners disturbed the thieves and called the Police; one whilst they were sitting in the car trying to break the steering lock. The police said they couldn't send anyone over straight away, but will send some patrol cars round later!

Happy days!

Christopher
http://www.evalbum.com/3030
EVT 4000e Electic 'Vespa'

ChrisB

Re: EV thieving little g!ts !!

Postby ChrisB » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:22 pm

Oh the buggers, why oh why cant they leave peoples stuff alone :evil:

Is it worth you installing CCTV ?? I've got my place covered with 4 hi res night vision cams recording to a DVR @ 24fps with a web interface, I can check it anytime anywhere in the world 8) cost less than 10 fill ups of the wifes Vectra.

geekygrilli wrote:Two owners disturbed the thieves and called the Police; one whilst they were sitting in the car trying to break the steering lock. The police said they couldn't send anyone over straight away, but will send some patrol cars round later!
Happy days!

Christopher

Oh how useful is that NOT :roll: you really have to wonder sometimes why we even have a police farce anymore :roll: oh sorry they are their to nick you for doing 0.000001mph over the speed limit......cos its easy pickins :evil:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:49 am

Speaking as a BIB i'm very dissapointed in the response you got. Luckily in my area unless the incident happened on a very rare occasion when all the available patrols where committed we would have been round like a shot. The amount of officers on duty in the small hours is incredibly low. :shock:

| too would like to see them get across the hv contactor with wet hands. Perhaps the screaming would wake the children though :twisted:
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:14 pm

I think it's difficult to get a balanced and rational response to the policing of crime, especially theft, at times. Last year an acquaintance had a microlight aircraft stolen, not an easy thing to sell or break for parts, so the conclusion was that it'd been nicked by an idiot. The police response seemed a bit uncertain, despite the high value of the aircraft, almost certainly because the officers dealing with it had no knowledge of the aircraft world and how someone might get rid of a stolen aircraft.

As luck would have it, another aviator spotted the stolen aircraft for sale on eBay. The ad was obviously written by someone who knew nothing at all about aircraft, so stuck out like a sore thumb. The guy who'd had it stolen called the eBay seller, posing as a buyer, to find out a bit more (identity of seller etc). He confirmed that it was his aircraft and arranged to go and take a look at it. He then called the police, told them what he'd found out and asked them to join him at the pre-arranged meeting with the thief. They took the contact details and agreed to this, but the day before the meeting the police telephoned the guy selling the aircraft on eBay to ask him if it was stolen....................

Needless to say the aircraft and the seller disappeared pronto, never to be seen again.

My view was that this was probably just a cock-up, but nevertheless it's easy to get the view from the odd anecdote like this that all police actions result in situations like this, when the reality is that 99.9% are treated professionally and competently.

Jeremy

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:34 pm

Well it doesnt surprise me in the slightest Jeremy, I hear time and time again of these sort of twonkish things happening :roll:

I've had my own car stolen and all I got from them was a crime number they where even interested that I called them within 10mins of it going and several other cars had been broken into.
I have several friends who have had various issues from stolen kit,local agro from kids etc and on all but one occasion they had zero satisfaction from the boys in blue :(

So nothing surprises me

ChrisB

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:08 pm

I understand if the police were dealing with 4 murders or something at the time, but I seriously doubt it. It was a missed opportunity to catch some criminals!

As it happens, my local councillor lives on my road, I wrote her an e-mail on Sunday morning and she popped over in the afternoon. She went to see all the victims to get the full story, then said she would contact the police to see what happened at their end.

Funnily enough, last night, for the first time in the 6 years I've lived here, a policeman walked down my road!

Cynically thinking, she may just be after my vote, and she has a vested interesting in stopping crime in the immediate area, but I can't see that doing me any harm!

Fiat Cinquecento EV

http://www.evalbum.com/1099

Little Chitty Chitty Bang Bang replica

http://www.evalbum.com/3030

EVT 4000e Electic 'Vespa'

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:47 pm

I think its sad that it takes a councilor to moan to get a policeman to walk up the road :roll: just goes to show how much interest the police show in the average joe bloggs :cry:

ChrisB

MB

Postby MB » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:07 pm

Can I stand up for the police at this point? I've always had excellent assistance from the police whenever I have needed them. I had a car stolen and they caught the people responsible and recovered the car. I was confronted with an intruder in my own home and they caught him within three hours. I was mugged and they got the guy the following day.
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:44 pm

Well can you please stop hogging all the polices time and let the rest of us have some of it :lol: :lol: :lol:

All I can say is out of the 5 times I've ever had any dealings with them their total customer service skills have been exceedingly poor to non existent :cry:, only once have they ever really shown any use and then they didnt bother to actually contact me I had to chase them for the info :roll: and as before friends have had the same experience sadly.

ChrisB

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”