Blingo versus the rest!

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
3xe - electric cars

Postby 3xe - electric cars » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:49 pm

Jeremy wrote:I had a look at converting a Smart car, but it doesn't seem to be a good platform. Space for batteries is very limited and the car has precious little useful space inside already, so there's no easy way to stick a decent pack anywhere without seriously impacting the already limited usefulness of the car.

Dear Jeremy - I'm sorry, but I can't agree with you.
Smart car is very good platform for EV conversion. BELIEVIE ME - I have some experience. Our Smart was converted many times (many different solutions - motors...).
Its double ("sandwich") floor has about 20 cm high space for batteries (LxWxH = 105x55x20 cm). There is also a lot of space in the engine comparment after you will remove the original motor. There is also some space under front of the car and "in" the front of the car.
Totally enought for e.g. 13kWh LiFePO4 battery pack (about 65 miles range for Smart).
The conversion is also quite comfortable. It is very easy to remove the frame with suspension and engine+gearbox (4 screws + some cables).
Engine mounting can be done outside of the car and later mounted together to the chasis.

I am planning a round trip all over the Germany and Austria in spring. Maybe it would be also reasonable to bring our Smart EV and some batteries and other devices also to UK and show it to you. I have to consider it.

I have to say that making such conversion for first time is quite complex... but Smart owners can await some nice surprise from me in short time ;)

jonny

Postby jonny » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:46 am

That Zytek Smart isnt Ni Cad anyway is it.

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:18 pm

jonny wrote:That Zytek Smart isnt Ni Cad anyway is it.

As you said in the other thread, the first batch of Zytec Smarts which went to council fleets were fitted with ZEBRA batteries. The model they are making available to the public has one of the lithium chemistries. I don't know which chemistry or which manufacturer they use.

I wonder what made them change?
Tim Crumpton

cianof

Postby cianof » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:38 pm

For its time the PSA EVs were well designed. (I could be wrong but I belive the Frech government had some involvement with their developement.(Can't find link....))

Good Points in the Berlingo E500 design

1) Fuel Cabin heater (Greater Mileage)
2) Batteries - High number of cycles, good shelf life.
3) Very popular van design, replacement body parts easily available

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:17 pm

This is all true. Interesting to note that the new Venturi Berlingo is using ZEBRA batteries!
Tim Crumpton

3xe - electric cars

Postby 3xe - electric cars » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:25 pm

timpootle wrote:
jonny wrote:That Zytek Smart isnt Ni Cad anyway is it.

As you said in the other thread, the first batch of Zytec Smarts which went to council fleets were fitted with ZEBRA batteries. The model they are making available to the public has one of the lithium chemistries. I don't know which chemistry or which manufacturer they use.

I wonder what made them change?

I've made some simple comparison for you.

ZEBRA Z21: 15,5 kWh
weight: 142 kg (including BMS)
peak power: 24 kW (about 1,55C discharge current)
cycles: ~3000 (from Wiki - not precise)

LiFePO4 (Thunder Sky: LiFeYPO4): 15,5 kWh
weight: 158 kg (including BMS)
peak power: 46,5 kW (about 3C discharge current)
cycles: ~5000 (LiFeYPO4 from Thunder Sky @ 70% Depth Of Discharge - hard to check it, data based on manufacturer specs)

I have compared here only basic parameters.
There are some other features like: size, possibility to divide pack into smaller parts (and place in vehicle), usability (selfdischarge), PRICE, availability, number of manufacturers, complication of BMS...

What would you choose?

cianof

Postby cianof » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:50 pm

What is the lifespan in years for those battery types?

3xe - electric cars

Postby 3xe - electric cars » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:59 am

As far as I know for LiFePO4 it was 5-7 years.

They (Thunder Sky) have added lately the Yttrium to the chemistry and it has significantly increased lifespan of cells - I think now it is more than 10 years.

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:58 am

Do you know that Zytec are using TS LiYFePO4? I haven't seen that written anywhere.
Tim Crumpton

3xe - electric cars

Postby 3xe - electric cars » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:45 pm

I have been last months on eCarTec fair in Munich and they were there - but I didn't see and note about Thunder Sky.
It is possible that they are using TS cells, but I haven't seen any confirmation from their side.

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”