Newbie looking for buying advice please

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
boggie

Newbie looking for buying advice please

Postby boggie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:21 pm

Hi All,

I am considering the purchase of an electric car for the daily commute. I have to travel 20 miles each way, about half of which is open A roads and the other half in stop start traffic. My budget is 3 - 4K so I have been looking at the Reva G-Wiz. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there an alternative to the Reva?

2. If I were to buy one that needed battery replacement are there alternatives to the lead-acid that Goingreen supply (£2K!) that would give better range (and hopefully cheaper?)

Thanks,
Ian

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:56 pm

Best person to speak to about G-wiz is MB who runs the club.

Of course dont forget the wonderful Berlingo 8) my personal fav in todays EV world :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:28 pm

Other EVs are available....

In the 40mph/40mpc (miles per charge) category my favourite is the Aixam Mega City.

Where in the world are you, Ian? Mega are expanding their dealer network around the country. http://www.megavan.org/ is the dealer in Manchester.

As for replacement batteries, I don't think there's anything special about G-wiz batteries (although MB will clarify for you). Gary Penfold of http://www.gwizbatteries.com/ (a trading name of http://www.pbbatteries.com/ ) has offered a discount on a full set of Gwiz batteries to BVS members. He can also offer a large capacity set, if you are after greater range.

All of the above is sticking with lead-acid. Changing chemistry is possible but can cause you charging headaches.
Tim Crumpton

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:27 pm

timpootle wrote:Other EVs are available....

In the 40mph/40mpc (miles per charge) category my favourite is the Aixam Mega City.

Totally agree 8) although my only concern is the "open A roads" part, at 40mph it isnt really that fast, having recently whizzed about in a Mega City car I was very impressed with it around town, but I'm not sure I'd want to take it onto a 60mph A road :?

Some may be fine with doing that sort of speed on an A road, personally with todays modern vehicles it can be a little scarey and not that safe, remember 40mph is the max and while it does get there I found it to be a little slow doing it once you where past 35mph.

Otherwise the City is a great car, very nippy round town and certainly very able to dash out into fast moving traffic on say a roundabout 8)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

boggie

Postby boggie » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:16 pm

Thanks Guys,

Much appreciated. Maybe it is a little early for me to take the plunge. With my budget and required range it looks like I will have to wait until I can afford a second hand car like the megacity 2+2

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”