Got my donor car! MR2 mk2 G Limited

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
Night Train

Postby Night Train » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:00 pm

Thanks Jeremy,

I will see if that heater stays affordable.

I had thought about a diesel heater but hadn't found an affordable one that was complete and working. I will need to add a fuel tank, pump and exhaust and that was putting me off a bit. The Webasto and Eberspacher ones were really costly.

The other thing was trying not to extrapolate the fossil fuel element and deciding that I could use the diesel fuel to run the car more efficiently and cost effectively then I could with pure electric. :wink: :lol:

duxuk

Postby duxuk » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:14 pm

I haven't read all of the info above but it seems you have not yet bought your motor. I would suggest you look at 2 Etek RT motors. They are rated at 72v so you can power them easily with a 144v battery pack of any type. I bought one motor for my trike from Electric Motorsport in San Fransisco for $525. Dealing with them was easy enough but I did have problems with the supply of the charger caused by the company that supply to them. Still I got everything eventually and should be able to test drive within a fortnight so I very excited. The first drive in a self built vehicle is one of life's great experiences! Or do I just need to get out more?

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi duxuk,

I don't have a motor yet but can't afford to get a new one. I have been tempted by the Agni 95 motors but I will have to see what sort of ex fork lift truck motor I can afford to get first.
I hope to be going shopping for one in a couple of weeks.

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:26 pm

The "Etek RT" motor isn't really a B&S Etek at all, it's a re-badged Mars ME0709 that's misusing (in my view) a Briggs and Stratton registered trademark. You can buy these motors direct from Mars Electric LLC, who are very helpful (I have one of them in my motorbike project) for less than this reseller sells the re-badged ones.

Mars Electric is run by one of the guys who worked for B&S on the Etek project, so has a good understanding of the technology. When B&S pulled the plug on Etek production John Fiorenza set up Mars to make two similar motors, the ME0708, which is similar to the original Etek and the ME0709 which is bigger and has a lower Kv. Mars also make a brushless version, similar to the original Etek in power.

One question I've been pondering is the situation with regard to technology licensing and patents. The B&S Etek was made under licence from Cedric Lynch's patent, as I understand it. I have no idea if the Mars motors use the same Lynch technology and whether or not they are licensed by Cedric (or the Lynch Motor Co) if they do. I do know that the Mars motors are made in China, although I have to say that I've been very happy with the quality of mine.

Service from Mars is outstandingly good, nothing is too much trouble. My motor was slightly damaged in shipping and John sent the new parts out immediately, free of charge, by priority shipping.

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Is that motor stackable, Jeremy?

Just wondering about using 2 or 3 of this type to replace whatever forklift motor I start with.

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:17 pm

Not easily, as the shaft only comes out of one end. The best way to hook up two motors would probably be to take an HTD belt drive from each to a common shaft.

Having said that, it might be worth talking to John at Mars to see if he could supply a special with a double shaft.

Jeremy

Peter Eggleston

9" Warp motor

Postby Peter Eggleston » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:27 pm

There is a 9" DC Warp motor available on ebay at the moment, the same as I have in my truck. This I think would be ideal for your project, and much better than a fork lift motor. They are as rare as hens teeth in the UK. This I think is a chance not to be missed.
The ebay number is 250539409876
If you want any more details of this motor, I can help.
Peter

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:18 pm

Thanks for that Peter, got a bid on it now.
Any thoughts as to what it may be worth? I notice there are no photos of the actual motor.

I wonder why that didn't show up in my search last night?

Perhaps you can also delete the auction number so I'm not competing with another member of the BVS? :wink:

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:32 pm

Interesting that in the listing it says ....

If you want to pay by paypal please not that you will have to pay all fees

Which is totally against Ebay policy to my knowledge :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:04 pm

Yes, interesting.

I would probably pay cash on collection but does it sound dodgy to you?

The seller also has a Lynch motor for sale.

Just checked the feed back and there have been no sales, only purchases.

I've been outbid now so I will investigage further before I raise my bid.

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”