Contact at Borehamwood DVLA Local Office

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
martinwinlow

Contact at Borehamwood DVLA Local Office

Postby martinwinlow » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi,

Has anyone got the name of someone who I can approach direct at DVLA Borehamwood to get my converted van re-clasified to 'electric'?

Might it be an idea for the BVS to try to liase with the DVLA to get the ID of someone who knows about converted EV's at all Local Offices to help smooth the process out for both sides and publish the list on the BVS site?

Regards, MW.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:41 pm

Are you having problems then ?

There really shouldnt be an issue, change of engine shouldnt be more than a form and possibley a visit to prove the taxation class.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

martinwinlow

Postby martinwinlow » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:52 pm

Hi - No, I haven't tried yet (next week) but I did a search in this forum a while back and read of some difficulties which I would like to avoid myself.

MW

Sio

Postby Sio » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:19 pm

I have been to this office to transfer a private registration on my gas guzzling Golf, obviously this is different to your needs but I must say they were very helpful and very busy.

I suggest a phone call before you go and take a book or your favourite portable games console.

Sio.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:33 pm

Well looking at the DVLA site ...........

Change to fuel type or engine size

You’ll need to tax your vehicle at your nearest DVLA local office. Write the new details in section seven of your Registration Certificate.

For changes that need a lower rate of vehicle tax to be paid, you’ll need to provide documentary evidence of the change. This can be the receipt for the new engine, or written evidence from the manufacturer, insurance company or garage that carried out the change.

Doesnt look too hard, I'd insure the vehicle first and take the insurance document down with you, make sure it says its electric on the cert first of course :wink:

Taken from this page http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... /DG_069680

Print the page out and take it with you, then they cant argue as you have full filled their requirements 8)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:22 am

Hi

I can't remember the name of the chap who inspected my car, but he was really nice, and once I got past the office staff it was all OK, and went swimmingly. They've done my car, so hopefully they'll remember how to do it.

You need to go there first, without the car and make a booking, and they'll check out your paperwork, then return with the car on a trailer and they will inspect.

They insisted on a Certificate of Change, similar to an LPG one. If you PM with your e-mail address I can send you a copy of the certificat I made.

You'll also need an MOT certificate too, and insurance documents, they will issue your tax disc there and then.

I think because its a van it might get confusing for them if you don't have an MOT certificate before you get the V5 changed.

If you need to get your car MOT'd, and you're local to Barnet may I suggest A1 Pitstop on The Great North Road. They are really helpful, know what they are doing and the chap there is now gathering parts to do his own conversion.

Hope this helps

Christopher

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”