Vosa requirements for converted vehicles

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:39 am

Grumpy B................The reason you're having problems is that you're not re-bodying the Blingo You're putting an engine in the Multispace..

If you go about it wrong you're basically disguising a 'stolen' vehicle as far as the DVLA are concerned Remember there's no chassis on modern monocoque cars (OK it's not stolen but you get the gist)

Your tail is wagging the dog

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:36 pm

Im not sure I understand your arguement.
Its the original Berlingo with a brand new shell, it meets all their requirements in relation to re-use of parts, its just that they demand a receipt for the Multispace shell, and wont accept anything other than a dealer receipt. They are not interested in the fact the shell is new and unused, still in original primer. They just want a paper trail.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:21 pm

Why did you actually inform them you where doing anything ??

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:21 am

Grumpy-b wrote:Im not sure I understand your arguement.
Its the original Berlingo with a brand new shell, it meets all their requirements in relation to re-use of parts, its just that they demand a receipt for the Multispace shell, and wont accept anything other than a dealer receipt. They are not interested in the fact the shell is new and unused, still in original primer. They just want a paper trail.

Grumpy-b

Aha I see Didn't realise you'd bought a brand new unregistered body. Hmmm that's a bit out of the ordinary. I assumed you were talking about a body off an existing Multispace. hmmmmm I wouldn't be too surprised if you wind up having to go down the new car or kit car route then.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:35 am

In response to why tell them, in retrospect Syupidity, but I really wanted to do the right thing. I really hadnt expected DVLA to have become such a burocratic nightmare. You cant even discuss any thing with them, except in my case drive 20 or 35 miles to an office then find there isnt anyone there to speak to (Done that twice already) you cant evn find out if anyone is going to be in the office to talk to. They wont put you through to an office unless you have an existing application in process.
If I do it again, the simplest way (Even they agree on this) is to just convert an existing multispace to electric, its merely an engine / fuel change and subsequent taxation class. No inspection would normally be expected was what the local office said on that subject. Im sure that would be interpreted in a different way in a different office.

On the bright side my local dealer has agreed to look at the shell and to give me a writen statement that the shell is what my documents say it is , and that its new and unused. At least then I feel I can get on and paint it, with some proof in hand if I need it.

Grumpy-b

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:44 am

Unfortunately when you're dealing with government bodies you're often dealing with paper pushers who are governed by numskulls who inhabit a big Victorian palace on the banks of a dirty river in the SE of England usually advised by lawyers and bankers so you're on a hiding to nothing as common sense, forethought and practicality are qualities they despise.

Sadly we all have to play the game and comply. Mind you it can be fun pointing out their lack of intelligence (ashamed to admit though my very first job was with the Civil Service but I got out ASAP, 3 months, and found a much better career in Fire Protection, R&D and Engineering)

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:15 pm

I have had my belief in the DVLA restored.
Having abandoned all intention of dealing with the local lot and just changing the details on the V5c in stages, all went well, changed seat numbers, changed colour. Then I changed engine number to match the one I had used and the tried changing from Van to estate .
They caught me. But after a long exchange of information, they have changed the engine number and my new multispace body will be registered as a "Van with side Windows". No inspection no other demands.
All this was done through Swansea with no contact to my Local Jobsworth.
It took nearly a year though.

Grumpy-b

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:03 pm

Glad to hear you're getting there in the end.
Tim Crumpton

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”