EU to kill E-bike?

Do you own or use or want to build a assisted bike then here is the place for you.
badnewswade

EU to kill E-bike?

Postby badnewswade » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:41 pm

What's this? The EU seems to have killed the e-bike!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_b ... pean_Union

Electrically-assisted cycles are usually classified as either pedelecs or e-bikes. Under European Union regulations adopted in the UK in June 2003, only power-assisted cycles meeting the pedelec classification are considered to be pedal cycles. The maximum power allowed in the European Union for (pedelec) electric bicycles is 250 W, with a maximum assisted speed of 25 km/h.[38]. To meet the pedelec specification the electric motor must be activated by the rider's pedalling effort and the power must cut out completely whenever the rider stops pedalling. Control of the motor by pedalling is often the key difference between a pedelec and e-bike.

If you read on you'll find that there's an (unknown) deadline for our domestic laws to fall into line with this.

Does this mean that scooters like my Sakura, which propel the bike without the need for constant pedaling, are now illegal? I guess the e-bike was too good for those petro-sucking, bribe-hungry Eurocrats to allow to exist.

Any information gratefully recieved...

EVguru

Postby EVguru » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:34 pm

Very few laws are ever made retrospective, so your bike should be quite safe.

In some ways it's a very sensible rule. Quite a lot of people will grab full throttle in a panic, but they will stop pedalling. You don't have to apply any force to the pedals, just keep them turning.

The Sakura (or copy thereof) that I scrapped had a sensor on the crank, but it appeared to work without having to pedal. I don't know if it was used for something else, or had been de-activated.
Paul

http://www.compton.vispa.com/scirocco/
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.compton.vispa.com/the_named

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:27 pm

In some ways it's a very sensible rule. Quite a lot of people will grab full throttle in a panic, but they will stop pedalling.

It's insane. There is simply no safety case to be made for banning e-bikes. They don't even go as fast as pedal bikes.

You don't have to apply any force to the pedals, just keep them turning.

But isn't the whole point of an electric bike that you don't have to pedal, pedal, pedal the whole damn time? It isn't physically possible to pedal a moped-type e-bike the whole time, it's designed to be sat on and powered by throttle. Just to make the point, this is what they want to ban:

http://www.sbsb.co.uk/electricbikespage ... bikes.html

No road tax, no pollution, no insurance, no MOT, no hassle, young people can use 'em... you can see why they have a problem with it can't you?

No, they'll just wait for these fantastic machines to die out, with the result that even more people will buy petrol mopeds, as full-sized electric ones aren't much better than e-bikes and cost a hell of a lot more. Thus keeping another generation chained to the pumps, ensuring air quality continues to decline and even more people are annoyed by the relentless farting of the horrid little chavmobiles!

I can't believe these EU / New Labour creeps. They'll ban a 15mph electric moped on "safety" grounds, but give the Hummer an import licence? What's that sound? Why, it's the magical sound of a briefcase full of cash opening!

Maybe we should just get together with the electric companies and ask NewLabour how much it costs in bribe money to have them pass a law for re-legalising e-bikes, and then raise the cash. The gimmick is that we're as upfront as possible about it, instead of farting around talking about "lobbying" and other *please do not swear*, so as to raise awareness of just how it is that corporations get to write our laws for us with NO democracy at all.

I mean, it's only a million quid to get made a lord... we could get all kinds of pro-electric vehicle laws passed that way! :twisted:

Government EV policy algorithm wrote:UNTIL (not_one_drop_of_oil_left_in_ground_anywhere) OR (everyone_chokes_to_death) OR (everything_is_under_20ft_of_water)

{
IF (bribes_from_electric_companies) > (oil_industry_kickbacks)
{
DO :laws_in_favour_of_electric_vehicles:
}
ELSE {
DO :laws_against_electric_vehicles:
DO :giveaways_to_petroleum_industry:
DO :wars_for_petroleum_industry:
DO :swingeing_mobility_taxes_on_ordinary_people(NOTpetroleum_industry):
}
}

cedric.lynch

Postby cedric.lynch » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:26 pm

badnewswade wrote:
In some ways it's a very sensible rule. Quite a lot of people will grab full throttle in a panic, but they will stop pedalling.

It's insane. There is simply no safety case to be made for banning e-bikes. They don't even go as fast as pedal bikes.

You don't have to apply any force to the pedals, just keep them turning.

But isn't the whole point of an electric bike that you don't have to pedal, pedal, pedal the whole damn time? It isn't physically possible to pedal a moped-type e-bike the whole time, it's designed to be sat on and powered by throttle. Just to make the point, this is what they want to ban:

http://www.sbsb.co.uk/electricbikespage ... bikes.html

No road tax, no pollution, no insurance, no MOT, no hassle, young people can use 'em... you can see why they have a problem with it can't you?

No, they'll just wait for these fantastic machines to die out, with the result that even more people will buy petrol mopeds, as full-sized electric ones aren't much better than e-bikes and cost a hell of a lot more. Thus keeping another generation chained to the pumps, ensuring air quality continues to decline and even more people are annoyed by the relentless farting of the horrid little chavmobiles!

I can't believe these EU / New Labour creeps. They'll ban a 15mph electric moped on "safety" grounds, but give the Hummer an import licence? What's that sound? Why, it's the magical sound of a briefcase full of cash opening!

Maybe we should just get together with the electric companies and ask NewLabour how much it costs in bribe money to have them pass a law for re-legalising e-bikes, and then raise the cash. The gimmick is that we're as upfront as possible about it, instead of farting around talking about "lobbying" and other *please do not swear*, so as to raise awareness of just how it is that corporations get to write our laws for us with NO democracy at all.

I mean, it's only a million quid to get made a lord... we could get all kinds of pro-electric vehicle laws passed that way! :twisted:

Government EV policy algorithm wrote:UNTIL (not_one_drop_of_oil_left_in_ground_anywhere) OR (everyone_chokes_to_death) OR (everything_is_under_20ft_of_water)

{
IF (bribes_from_electric_companies) > (oil_industry_kickbacks)
{
DO :laws_in_favour_of_electric_vehicles:
}
ELSE {
DO :laws_against_electric_vehicles:
DO :giveaways_to_petroleum_industry:
DO :wars_for_petroleum_industry:
DO :swingeing_mobility_taxes_on_ordinary_people(NOTpetroleum_industry):
}
}

You could dribble some gooey STP Oil Treatment in the freewheel or wind a few turns of string between the freewheel and the hub. Then if you put your feet up on the frame, the handlebars or other safe place once you are moving, the pedals will keep turning and operating the pedal sensor.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:07 pm

cedric.lynch wrote:
You could dribble some gooey STP Oil Treatment in the freewheel or wind a few turns of string between the freewheel and the hub. Then if you put your feet up on the frame, the handlebars or other safe place once you are moving, the pedals will keep turning and operating the pedal sensor.

Have only just spotted this post , fantastic and simple way round the problem Cedric I like your style 8)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Deker

EU Kill Ebike - What !

Postby Deker » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:42 am

Just read this post.

Cedric says "Then if you put your feet up on the frame, the handlebars or other safe place"

Err, I thought that ONLY Airplanes were steered by foot control - Must be a flying bike !!!

Deker.

PHEV

Postby PHEV » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:08 pm

How about a second motor to turn the pedals for you?
*Mazda MX-5, 300KW peak, 300v 20KW/h lipo pack, Soliton 1000A controller. 1100KG.
*Ducati SS twin Agni 80HP peak.
*Aprilia RS motorcycle, 500A controller, Cedric's AgniMotor, 96v 6kw/h LiPo pack, 130kg, 90mph.
www.jozztek.com

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:17 pm

PHEV wrote:How about a second motor to turn the pedals for you?

That would take more juice out of the battery but how about it being a clockwork motor? :lol:

PHEV

Postby PHEV » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:09 pm

Elegnant for sure Kelvin, but heavy and you'd get arrested if you forgot to wind it up :lol:
Perhaps a small sail for windpowered pedals? I suppose the RSPCA would frown on a hampster wheel built into the bottom bracket?
*Mazda MX-5, 300KW peak, 300v 20KW/h lipo pack, Soliton 1000A controller. 1100KG.
*Ducati SS twin Agni 80HP peak.
*Aprilia RS motorcycle, 500A controller, Cedric's AgniMotor, 96v 6kw/h LiPo pack, 130kg, 90mph.
www.jozztek.com

MB

Postby MB » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:46 pm

Clockwork? Auxillary electric motor? Have you all gone out of your minds? I thought that was what the hampster was for?
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

Return to “Electrically assisted bikes”