Folding Bike LiFePO4 conversion

Do you own or use or want to build a assisted bike then here is the place for you.
ChrisB

Folding Bike LiFePO4 conversion

Postby ChrisB » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:00 pm

Well from my thread HERE about my first look at importing and trying these modern new fangled bit of electrickery, I can now reveal my none to clever LiFePO4 E-Bike

The original plan was to remove the SLA's out of the pack and install the LiFePO4's in their place, however while I knew it was going to be tight it ended up just too tight to work :cry:

Quite a bit different in size but just 5mm too thick to go in the orginal casing

.......and thus a slight bodge was required to get things rolling ..

I wrapped some high dense foam around the pack for now and it makes it a nice snug fit in the frame holder, the bikes a fair few kilos lighter now thats for sure.

Not ideal, but good enough for now.

Todate I've not been able to flatten the cells to the point of them cutting out, everytime I've got bored of riding and headed home, currently managed around 15miles on it and no sign of anything wrong at all.
The very first time I used them it did feel slightly more sluggish than the SLA's but that does seem to have gone now with a few uses

Well thats it for now until I get my Watts Up meter so I have a better idea of whats left in the battery as I drive along.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:54 am

Nice.. :)
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

phil shepherdson

new LiFePo batt

Postby phil shepherdson » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:00 pm

that looks a fantastic conversion!

It appears rather a powerful piece of kit on board, is it more than 10AH?

On my mini trek on my 10AH 36V bike I managed 35 mile round trip (with just a bit of peddling!) in just over 2 hours. it would be interesting to see what range you may have with your new batteries?

Phil Shep'

ChrisB

Re: Folding Bike LiFePO4 conversion

Postby ChrisB » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:56 pm

Sorry Phil, its only been a year and bit before replying :oops: :lol:

Yes its a 20ah 24v pack and its still going strong and its still as it is in the Frame :oops:

Today I finished my 36v 20ah Ping LiFePO4 conversion on my new project which is a fairly old chinese electric bike that I picked up for £20 as a non runner but with a bit of TLC its back up and running and hopefully will be my bike I'll be riding about on at Tour de Presteigne 8)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

tigerbay

Re: Folding Bike LiFePO4 conversion

Postby tigerbay » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:17 pm

I must admit, that does fit quite nicely and allows for space on the rear cargo rack that wasn't there before :) I do really like the LiFePO4 battery types (especially on my currie motor retrofitted bike I'll explain abit more about in a new thread). Do you find you get an ever so slightly more stable power output at a higher voltage than with other battery chemistries and which brands do you prefer?

Return to “Electrically assisted bikes”