New member, new project...

An area for all you bikers who now run your two wheeler on battery power, scooter owners to.
Fred.Spaven

New member, new project...

Postby Fred.Spaven » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the BVS and am thinking about doing an electric Royal Enfield. My plan, such as it is, is to use about ten Nissan Leaf modules (to give a roughly 5kWh battery) and a 10kW BLDC from Golden motor. I'm aiming for a ~50 mile range on country roads (50mph or so).

I'm an automotive engineer with a background in electrical engineering but haven't dipped a toe in the EV pond yet, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with Lithium-ion technology and BLDC motors. Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Ta,
Fred

timpootle

Re: New member, new project...

Postby timpootle » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:02 am

Hello Fred, and welcome

Sounds like a sensible plan for your bike. I haven't played with LEAF modules myself but several people on here have. I'm thinking they will need some sort of BMS. I don't think the modules have any intelligence in themselves.

Where in the world are you? Maybe there are local BVS members that could give you some pointers?
Tim Crumpton

Fred.Spaven

Postby Fred.Spaven » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:11 pm

Timpootle,

I'm in Hereford, near the Welsh border - is there anyone around here that might be willing to help?

F

David Arthur

Postby David Arthur » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi Fred Ime making an elec motorcycle and am currently attempting to either buy in 30/40 amp 3.2v individual cells or would consider modules from leaf ect. ime hoping to buy direct but may have to order 100 500 unit or more before discount is worthwhile, anybody else interested?. Yours Dave Arthur

Fred.Spaven

Postby Fred.Spaven » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:36 pm

David,

Apologies for the extremely slow response!

I'm using Leaf Batteries on my bike but think I'd go over to 18650s for the next one.

I could do with a few more batts, though, how far along are you and do you have any spare Leaf Batteries?

All the best,
Fred

Return to “Electric Motor Bikes”