Reva announce prices for new car

Got a hot news story concerning EV's, be it on the TV, Radio or seen it in the press, then share it with us here.
MB

Reva announce prices for new car

Postby MB » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:36 am

Reva have just announced prices for their new NXR hatchback.

A quick recap - its a new car with space for four adults, about the size of a Ford Ka. Its available with either lead acid or lithium-ion batteries.

Price for the base model Reva NXR City, with lead acid batteries, a top speed of 50mph and a range of around 50 miles, is €9999 - approximately £8,700.

Price for the Reva NXR InterCity with lithium ion batteries, a top speed of 65mph and a range of around 100 miles, is €14999 - approximately £13,300.

In other words, the price for a base Reva NXR electric car is comparable to the price for a base Ford Ka.
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:17 pm

Now we're talking 8) especially for the Li-ion powered one, a very sensible price 8)

It will be very interesting to see what the vehicles are actually like 8)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Agreed Chris, the Li-ion one sounds very interesting but need to see it.
Proven 6kW Wind Turbine
3.8 kW Solar PV

Andy B

Postby Andy B » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:06 am

Afraid MB's price doesn't include batteries.

"Customers will be offered the option of purchasing the car and batteries separately, or at an all-inclusive price. If bought separately, the benefit will be a lower purchase price, with the batteries paid for on a monthly basis – just like petrol – as part of a monthly mobility fee, which could also include electricity, telematics and other services. Average prices in Europe, excluding batteries, will be around 14,995 euros for the lithium-ion NXR Intercity version"

andylaurence

Postby andylaurence » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:25 am

There's nothing on the Reva website about this car but I found a photo here. This is very close to being usable for me. My trip to work at the moment is 86 miles, so assuming that's a realistic 100 miles and I can plug in at work, I could use one. However, it's too close to the bone for my liking. What if I have to take a detour because the motorway is closed or I want to stop somewhere en-route?
Above figures include track days and the odd competition.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:28 pm

Andy B wrote:Afraid MB's price doesn't include batteries.

"Customers will be offered the option of purchasing the car and batteries separately, or at an all-inclusive price. If bought separately, the benefit will be a lower purchase price, with the batteries paid for on a monthly basis – just like petrol – as part of a monthly mobility fee, which could also include electricity, telematics and other services. Average prices in Europe, excluding batteries, will be around 14,995 euros for the lithium-ion NXR Intercity version"

Ah well back to the drawing board then :cry:

Although the possibility to buy the batts monthly is a good idea...........as long as its cheaper than petrol, which I doubt.

ChrisB

clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:53 pm

The car looks OK but if the price is without batteries then it's a definite no :(
With batteries it will be too expensive :(
Proven 6kW Wind Turbine
3.8 kW Solar PV

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:17 pm

Lets hope there are some folk that do buy them and then chop them in after a few years to make them available for 2nd hand users at a more reasonable price 8)

Well there are folks that pay £30k+ for a BMW who are willing to lose a shed load of dosh in 4yrs so their must be folks who who'll pay that sort of money for an EV :?

ChrisB

MB

Postby MB » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:15 am

Well, I went to see the car in Frankfurt yesterday and had a test drive. It is a very good car.

I went to see a Ford Ka first - the base model Reva NXR City costs almost the same as a base model Ford Ka. The Reva is more spacious and is more comfortable. It rides well and performs well too. In other words, ignoring the environmental credentials, Reva have built a car that can be chosen on its own merits over a mainstream petrol powered car.

The price does not include batteries, and there will be various ways the car will be sold - which I am not at liberty to disclose just yet - but the battery price will be extremely competitive: if you can afford to fill up a Ford Ka with petrol twice a month, you'll be able to afford the battery lease on a Reva NXR City.

And of course, you then don't have to worry about battery replacement costs - that is all covered under the battery lease. So the biggest ongoing cost of EVs is taken away.

The car isn't designed for driving a 170 mile round trip to work every day: it's a city car for goodness sake. Yes, you could do it if you really wanted to, but it isn't a practical solution. Now if you have two cars in a family and one of them is used to drive you 170 miles a day and the other one just potters around town, drops the kids to school and does the weekly shopping, that's the car you buy as an EV. I used to travel around 210 miles a day for work before I moved house. My wife used the EV and I drove a diesel car. Now I live 6½ miles from work, I get to use the EV.

I'll be posting up a full review on the Reva Car Club web site later, along with some You Tube videos.
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:18 pm

All sounds fairly good, although I'll be interested to see the pricing of the batts as its always this that joe public questions, it has to be cheaper than petrol for them to be even slightly interested.

As you say not a long distance motah, but then as a second car its ideal, my normal argument with folks is when they waffle on saying but it will only do X amount of miles on a charge, but then when questioned they only ever do an average of 25miles anyway :roll:

Many folks could easily go electric as a second car and then have an ICE for the longer hauls or hire.

Look forward to futher details 8)

ChrisB

Return to “Hot off the press....”