Advice request on Motor caravan leisure batteries.

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
BML

Advice request on Motor caravan leisure batteries.

Postby BML » Sun May 28, 2017 10:12 pm

The leisure battery has passed away on my motor caravan, my entire fault, I let it go flat so when I buy a replacement I don't want to make any more mistakes. I have a few questions and hope you will be patient with my incompetence.
1.I think that I will need a normal 110Ah battery not a Gel one.
2.Is there a recommended list of Leisure batteries? If so which is the best make and bearing in mind they all appear to carry some form of guarantee is it worth paying out for a good name?
3.I now know that a leisure battery needs ongoing charging. If one is on the road and there is no hook up that means a solar panel. I would worry that mine would get run over if I placed it on the ground chasing the sun so how effective would it be secured to the roof of the camper and what sort of solar panel is recommended for a non TV camper?
4.I have read that however many miles you drive your vehicle battery will recharge the leisure batter will not. So, what sort of home based charging device would be recommended to take care of both batteries and is there a device one can buy to connect up on the dashboard?

timpootle

Re: Advice request on Motor caravan leisure batteries.

Postby timpootle » Mon May 29, 2017 3:36 pm

Hello BML

I think you are in the wrong place. It sounds like you need the Vehicle Battery Society. We spend all day telling people NOT to use Leisure batteries in their electric cars as they are not designed for the current draw of a traction battery application. Maybe the Caravan Club could help you?

Having said all that, a Lead-acid battery has common characteristics, and a few of the members here are keen on solar power too, so you might get some sensible answers. I think you have most of them already:
  • Don't let it go flat,
  • a tracking solar array is more complicated than it is worth,
  • having a continual top-up from a roof mounted solar cell will be a big help to keep it healthy, but probably won't restore the charge taken overnight
Sort of thing. I am not an expert on the merits of Gel Lead-acid batteries as against old fashioned wet cells so can't help you there.
Tim Crumpton

Return to “All things battery related”