Cold Weather

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
mattcarr

Cold Weather

Postby mattcarr » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:20 pm

The cold weather is finally hear. My car has not had much use in the last few days and has been sttod on the driveway. I used it this morning and noticed that the battery voltage sagged alot more than usual under heavy load. I take it that this is fairly normal for cold lithium batteries. I have to say that one m return trip they were not sagging quite as much - perhaps they had warmed up a bit from being used.

I have noticed that there is no heating on the battery boxes in my car. Do you this that this is something I should look at getting?

Cheers

Matt

retepsnikrep

Re: Cold Weather

Postby retepsnikrep » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:43 pm

Yes they will be affected by the cold weather but they will last longer from a calendar life point of view.
All the chemical reactions slow down.

Yes they will warm up under load. The older types of cells were even worse.

I used to have a well insulated battery compartment in my Solarvan with electric blanket wires under the cells and fan cooling etc that worked well. Keep them about 20C for reasonable performance or 35-40C for a bit more zing. :)
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

GregsGarage

Re: Cold Weather

Postby GregsGarage » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:17 pm

I am pleased so far with the cold weather performance of my cells. Yes they sag a bit more when cold, and once they warm up a bit you get a bit more zing. I connect the charger straight after driving while the cells are still warm as most cells shouldn't be charged below freezing. I was getting around a 60 mile range in the summer, and even with the cold and running a 1.5kw heater off the pack I still have a good 40 mile range at least.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

Return to “All things battery related”