Home charging point

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
arsharpe

Home charging point

Postby arsharpe » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:52 am

Now my wife has an Electric 106 I need a more girlie friendly and easier to use mains connection system.

Both cars are charged outside and the main thing is that the lead is going to be messy in the winter.

The ideal scenario would be a water proof cover on the garage wall where the cover can be lifted and the paddle simply pulled to release the cable to reach the car. Once finished, the paddle would be unplugged from the car and tension applied to the cable to activate a spring loaded cable retrieval system. The paddle then placed under the cover again. This would mean that the potentially dirty cable itself was never touched.

Has anyone done something similar and suggest any products/DIY methods ?

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:49 am

So basically one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mains-Extension ... B0012X5QG2

They are available from several places, amazon arent showing any stocks currently but you should find them else where online or at places like machine mart and northern tools etc

Note that theses are NOT water proof so would need to be placed undercover somewhere, also note the rating on them and bear in mind that the blingo/106 WILL be pulling 13.2 Amps for many hours so the reel would need to be FULLY unwound or cut the cable to the desired length so when it is at the vehicle it is FULLY unwound, or you will very quickly end up with a large lump of molten plastic and potential fire hazzard.

Also remember any outside sockets must be protected by an RCD and the fitting of an outside socket now has to be carried out by a Part P registered electrician or you will need to inform your local building control bods that you will be doing it and then they will need to come out and test it all of which will of course cost extra money.

Personally I wouldnt be keen on using a pull out reel without knowing the internals due to the fact the Blingos pull so much power for the amount of time they do, but I can see you need to make a system that is girly friendly, how about a set of gloves ?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “All things battery related”