Battery charging

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
Cessna

Battery charging

Postby Cessna » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:41 am

This may be asking a "silly" question, but what the heck!!

Designing a human electric hybrid, and ignoring the legal aspects (for the moment) what enginnering issues are connected with having a small petrol generator in a trailer which could be towed behind an EV when the planned journeys are close to the extreme range limit.

Ideally this generator could be turned on whilst mobile to preserve battery charge before it became critically low.

Rds
Cessna

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:09 pm

Hi Cessna,

Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about your proposed vehicle. Is a "human electric hybrid" an electric bicycle or something larger? If you want to use the generator to power your vehicle while driving, then it will probably need to provide at least the power required to maintain your max vehicle speed on level ground, or even a bit more. I would try and avoid the generator if possible, that money could be used for a larger battery pack, for example.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

Cessna

Postby Cessna » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:19 pm

Hi Greg

Thanks for the reply, the Human Hybrid I'm designing is more akin to a bicycle than a car, the sketchs are currently a tadpole trike ( two wheels in the front) enclosed with the running gear typically cycle based. Motor size will be around 500-1000 Watts. As human power is a significant element, weight and drag are very important, the thought was I could reduce weight by reducing battery size and towing a small generator to help (stretch) the battery life, when operating over longer distances than the planned 30 mile range.

Kind regards
Cessna

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:33 pm

I know you dont want to look at the legal issues of towing a small genny or having one in the proposed vehicle BUT I have to say I do think you'll find you may well attract unwanted attention from Mr Policeman :?
Not to mention the fact you will have to be lugging the genny about when you may not need it.
I really notice a difference having the genny in the back of the blingo.

I understand the reasoning behind it but personally I'd look at buying a bigger and better battery pack that will give you a better range and do away with all the complications of luggin a genny about.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Cessna

Postby Cessna » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:53 am

Hi Chris

Thanks for the e-mail, I,ve decided to stop the "free child thinking" and accept I will need a larger battery.

Kind regards
Cessna

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:25 pm

Nothing wrong with a bit of "free thinking" 8)

And in my book its ALWAYS worth throwing a few ideas about how ever mad or odd they may seem :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “All things battery related”