Inductance

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
ChrisB

Inductance

Postby ChrisB » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:37 pm

I'm posting this on behalf of AlanW.........

16 kg inductance.

A friend discarded a large old industrial 230 / 110 V step-down transformer because it got very hot even with the secondary open-circuit. He thought it was rated at 3 KVA. The secondary winding is 2.6 mm diameter wire, so I thought it might be a nice large inductance of low resistance. I am disappointed and puzzled. I tried it as an inductance to smooth the output from a simple mains charger with a bridge rectifier, giving 13 V dc at 10 amps. I measured dc and ac current with a clamp meter, before and after I wired the inductance in series between the charger and a large good 12 V battery:

Before, with no inductance:- 11 amp dc, 12 amp ac.

With inductance in series:- 1.9 amp dc, 0.4 amp ac; and the voltages across the inductance were then 0.55 V dc and 6.5 V ac.

If I assume the equivalent frequency from the full-wave rectifier is 2 x 50 Hz, then these measurements give a dc resistance of 0.29 ohm, and (I think) an ac impedance of 16.3 ohm and an inductance of only 0.026 henry.

The 0.29 ohm seems a bit high for 2.6 mm diameter wire. But the 0.026 henry seems strangely low for such a massive transformer. I do not understand transformers – even if they are ‘perfect’. But as this massive 16 kg transformer was discarded because it got too hot, I presume there are shorted turns in primary and/or secondary. How could these cause a high dc resistance combined with such a low inductance - even at this relatively small dc current? I am disappointed! But I would appreciate enlightenment please. AlanW

Anyone have any ideas ??

I'm really rusty on inductance :oops:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Re: Inductance

Postby qdos » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:09 pm

ChrisB wrote:Anyone have any ideas ??

I'm really rusty on inductance :oops:

ChrisB

WD40 ? :wink:

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:00 am

The reason the transformer was getting hot, even with no load, is almost certainly because it has developed a shorted turn - most probably two adjacent wires in the windings have shorted.

This would have the secondary effect of massively reducing the inductance of either winding when used as you're trying to do.

You might be able to unwind it and find the defect, provided that it's not been vacuum impregnated with resin, as some big transformers are. If the shorted turn is on the primary, and the two windings are separate, then you might be able to fix it for use as an inductor by just removing the primary winding.

Jeremy

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:25 pm

I'll point Alan in this direction.

Thanks Jeremy

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “All things battery related”