Southport LiFePO4 dealer

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
arnolde

Postby arnolde » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:04 am

Um... no answer? It it some kind of big secret what happened with the bulk purchase? :wink:

I'm looking into ordering some 10Ah and 100Ah cells from Huanyu, they have very interesting prices (about 1.10 EUR/Ah plus duty, tax, shipping). Of course probably the quality is not the best around, but I think I'll give it a shot.

Anyone else interested?

Ethan

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:11 pm

Hi Ethan.

No big secret- PeterP's bulk buy of ThunderSky lithium batteries kinda stalled- not least when Peter himself chose HiPower instead for his project. I will let him give you his own reasons for that decision.

My big buy should be arriving by the end of this month- I have started a thread here detailing the fitment into my Berlingo.

Peter, Greg, Russ and myself went to Dave individually. You would have to check with him what savings a bulk buy might give you.
Tim Crumpton

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:43 pm

Simply not enough interest and price quoted was too high sadly. Peter
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi Ethan,

Had a quick look at Huanyu's website. The cells are rated for 2C max discharge if I was looking at the same ones. Will that be enough for you? I think you said in the BMS thread that you were looking for a 30km range. If you size your pack for 30 Km range at say 90kph your cells would have to be able to deliver a constant 3C. You may need to increase the size of your pack or go with cells capable of delivering a higher C discharge.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

arnolde

Postby arnolde » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:01 am

Hi Greg,

yes, you're looking at the same ones. And yes it says max 2C but thats really continuous, the 3C peak also works out, I have the charge/discharge diagrams here for 1C, 2C...5C and although high discharge rate reduces capacity a little, not nearly as much as with SLA batteries.

The car I'm using needs about 10-12 kWh/100km doing 100-120 km/h. (measured by 4L/100km gasoline usage). So to do 100km/h it needs about 10-12kW. With a 6kWh pack that would be 2C, upto 3C (18kW) for short peaks. The motor is only 7.5kW (constant), I'm hoping to be able to put 15kW through it (3000rpm instead of 1500rpm, same rated current).

I know I'm taking a risk here using the supercheap batteries. But it's one I'm willing to take and see what happens :-)

regards,
Ethan

arnolde

Postby arnolde » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:05 am

Charge/Discharge diagram for the Huanyu cells:

* 1C discharge: 56 mins to 3V, 63 mins to 2V
* 2C discharge: 26 mins to 3V, 31 mins to 2V
* 3C discharge: 20 mins to 2V

Price will be around 13,60 EUR each - including airfreight, duty and all taxes. (Commercial buyers with a VAT number, subtract 19% from that)

Someone else will also be ordering the 100Ah cells (136,00 EUR each).
So if anyone is interested in either 10Ah or 100Ah... speak now or be silent forever :D no minimum order quantity!

I can then easily send them by parcel anywhere in the EU.

Expected delivery: before end of october (4 weeks from order date).

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:09 pm

After watching the weather report last night where they said we have had the coldest start for a December in 30 years, thought I would give a quick report on how my batteries coped with the cold weather. I have 24 100ah cells which gives a fully charged pack voltage of around 80 volts. The batteries are mounted in 4 uninsulated boxes, sealed from the weather (I hope :shock: ). They are coping well with the cold, on the coldest mornings the voltage under load is a bit lower. The effect is to lower my top speed by around 5 miles per hour. Not really a bad thing when the roads are icy! Typically I take around 60 ahrs out of them before recharging and am not getting any low voltage warnings from my BMS system. Have put just over 1200 miles on the pack now and all is well. 8)
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:29 pm

Greg

That's good news. :wink:

Peter
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

Return to “All things battery related”