Any old rag and bones ? Any old Lithium ?

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
ChrisBarron

Any old rag and bones ? Any old Lithium ?

Postby ChrisBarron » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:29 pm

I have been working on my battery balancer system recently, and have now reached the point where I should really look at making it work with lithium cells instead of lead acid, ultimately I think it will be of more use with lithium.

I missed a sale in PC world last week on some old laptop batteries which I could have parted out, and so now instead I am looking for any old/expired lithium cells to run some trials with.

If anyone has any, possibly old laptop batteries, but also larger cells too, and you just haven't got around to putting in to the recyclers yet then I might be interested in taking them.

Old batteries may well be ideal for this project because they will produce an uneven pack which is just what I need in order to test the balancer side of the project

I would obviously be willing to pay for postage if it isn't too expensive, but it may well turn out to be cheaper if I either collect in person, or just buy some new cells locally, but if anyone has some old/expired/believed-to-now-be-no-good type cells I might be interested in taking them off your hands, so please get in touch.

Chris

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:33 pm

I've got 4 dodgy/dead 200ah TS LMP cells you can have if you want. :roll:

2 read 0v and 2 read 0.5v, they will test your balancer in a worst case scenario :shock:
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

ChrisBarron

Postby ChrisBarron » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:52 pm

Thanks Peter, they would be ideal. I will see what else turns up before giving you a firm answer. What i sometimes do is line up a few eBay wins (where the buyers agree to hold the items) and then go make a round tri[ stopping off at various points. Where are you located ?

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:51 am

Near Thirsk in North Yorkshire, North of Watford i'm afraid :lol:
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

ChrisBarron

Postby ChrisBarron » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:45 am

retepsnikrep wrote:Near Thirsk in North Yorkshire, North of Watford i'm afraid :lol:

I was down in Hull last weekend visiting my sister and mustr have driven right past you on my way back North up the A1....pah, that's life. Youre not too far away. Maybe I will be able to make a visit to my sister again soon, I'll be keeping your offer in mind, thanks again

2e0bax

Postby 2e0bax » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:54 pm

I can offer some mobile phone batteries at 3.6v with a capacity of 900mah, charged and working just contact me i would be interested in your results. Sean / 2e0bax

ChrisBarron

Postby ChrisBarron » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:19 pm

2e0bax wrote:I can offer some mobile phone batteries at 3.6v with a capacity of 900mah, charged and working just contact me i would be interested in your results. Sean / 2e0bax

Thanks for that offer Sean, but it looks like I just this minute got very lucky by winning this ebay auction
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0228824015

They will go well with the other six unkown condition 18650 cells I have upstairs. I only need 18 cells to do complete system test so fingers crossed I will do fine. Am going to keep your offer in mind too though, just in case

Cheers
Chris

Return to “All things battery related”