UK Thunder Sky Bulk Purchase Thread

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
jonathan jewkes

Postby jonathan jewkes » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:10 pm

If the price is as you expect then I would like 30 x 100 Ah LCP cells
Jonathan
Jonathan Jewkes
Daily EV user for 10years - an enthusiast and also a realist

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:46 pm

Jonathan,

I can offer some help with getting those into your elcat if you decide to use the BMS from Reap. :)
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

rustybkts

50ah Thundersky batteries

Postby rustybkts » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:57 pm

I need batteries for my EV Elise which is coming to fruition.

Now just need batteries, BMS and a charger.

Count me in for about 100 x 50Ah Thunderskys, but I need a little more info concerning the choices.

I assume LCP is the one to buy as it seems to have a much longer life.

Can someone clarify?
EV Lotus Elise with 30/67Kw Siemens ex Ford Ranger motor
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Electric Ride On Mower (Lynch Power!)
Bosch beard trimmer

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi Russ

Glad to see you're looking at lithium for the Elise. Filling it with lead would be such a shame!

After much surfing, I have plumped for LCP as Jukka Jarvinen says LMP cannot be installed any way but vertical, and I think I may need to squeeze cells in everywhere to get the range I hope for.

Thunder Sky themselves recommend LFP for EV applications, but Jukka at FEVT and Dennis at REAP both refuse to touch them until this patent problem is resolved, for fear of Customs siezing the shipment.

This is how I understand the situation, anyway.
Tim Crumpton

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:12 pm

Hi guys,

I can vouch for the LCP cells. I have some of the new ones in my City El as purchased from Dennis.

With proper insulation (thermal insulation that is), and correct heating and cooling (as well as proper compression) I think they'll serve you really well for a long time.

:)

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

rustybkts

Thundersky cells

Postby rustybkts » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:01 pm

Hi Tim,

Does anyone have any information concerning the LFP battery licensing situation as they do seem to be far better than the other two.

I note from the technical info that LCP/LMP can catch fire if abused but the LFP cannot by design. I would of course prefer them.

After watching the abused LiPo battery catch fire on "YouTube", it certainly focuses the mind on effective, reliable BMS.

I will be fitting surface probes between each battery as they will be squeezed into various tight areas on the Elise. You cannot be too safe.

By the way Tim, why are you planning to fit more batteries than a milk float to your Berlingo. You should follow Colin Chapman's advice and "just add lightness".
You could always go on a diet to increase range. :lol:
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Bosch beard trimmer

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:17 am

With regards to BMS I can highly recommend the REAP system. Although it's a bit more tricky to put in it's completely customisable and does prevent your batteries from ever getting discharged too much or charged too much. You can even set things like maximum current drain etc etc.

While the REAP system will only handle 14 cells per unit it's designed so you can daisy-chain things together to have a larger system. It also has a CAN bus so you can use it with the car's CAN bus setup, if you have one.

My pack consists of 12 * 100AH LCP cells. I'm more than happy to show the processes I went through integrating it into the car if anyone wants. I'm also willing to let someone come down and look at the system installed before they fork out large amounts of money!

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:20 pm

Tim,

I have been re-reading the earlier posts, and if you really have to spend over £36,000 just to save money when you visit the outlaws, then I could save you a packet by offering a charging point here near Leicester about 10 minutes from junction 21 of the M1.
Any EV is welcome but give me a call first.
We have a pub across the road which can be used to while away the charging time.:P
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Bosch beard trimmer

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:41 am

Thanks Russ.

Put yourself on the map.

This probably won't affect my planned vehicle...
Tim Crumpton

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:16 am

... but the plans change anyway.

Sorry Peter, and all of you, but I am withdrawing from this bulk purchase.

retepsnikrep wrote:I bought my first Li-Ion TS cells 5 years ago, nothing affordable has come along since then to cause me to change my mind about ordering further cells at present. Your more likely to get old and die before the perfect EV battery comes along. I could have waited 5 years and I would still be ordering the TS cells now. Yes there are lot's of emerging new tech and suppliers but how long before something affordable is available?

I have been pointed to a supplier of LiFePO4 batteries here in the North-West, and am going to try them.
Tim Crumpton

Return to “All things battery related”