Where we can get on a tank of Fuel in the Prius ;)

Own a hybrid? Don't feel left out; heres a little corner just for you.
aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:22 pm

Changing the subject a little...

You CAN get to Fort William from Bristol on a tank! ;)

Nikki
(Lounging in her B&B 'suite')
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:10 pm

Ah but was the tank towing anything ?

retepsnikrep

Fort William from Bristol.

Postby retepsnikrep » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:11 am

aminorjourney wrote:You CAN get to Fort William from Bristol on a tank! ;)Nikki (Lounging in her B&B 'suite')

"Impressive, Most Impressive!" (Darth Vader) I might be able to get back as well! How many miles was it? What was your mpg? 8)
Last edited by retepsnikrep on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:03 pm

Hi Peter,

We went from Bristol to Fort William (the long way) via Windermere, the west coast (avoiding Glasgow and going west of Carlisle and over the McInroy's point ferry).

Total mileage to the guest house was (from memory) 510 miles. We filled up a few miles out of Fort William. So far we've done over 650 miles on the trip and returned an average economy as calculated by the car, to be 56.5 mpg (and rising!)

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

marktime

Postby marktime » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:12 am

Hi Nikki,

(Dons appropriate clothing, this time it’s an anorak with the zip pulled right up and all the poppers fastened). :)

Checking my spreadsheet I see that my personal best was 669 miles on a single tank full. This took 45.25 litres to refill (so close to 10 gallons we won’t argue). Giving 66.9 MPG and a Cheshire cat style grin.

(Removes anorak and puts it back in cupboard with pedants hat).

It is common to find that the onboard computer will differ from MPG calcuated manually (Miles travelled / fuel to refill the tank) both systems have good and bad points. Long avarages taken between known 'fulls' are probably the best real life indicator but I do like a good headline figure in the 60's.

Reaches for anorak again. Range is ultimately governed by how far you dare to go after the last blob on the gauge starts to flash, there is a figure somewhere on the Pruis forum for how much fuel remains but I generally go up to 50 miles.

Mark
Soft as Graphite, Hard as Diamond, Black as Coal & clear as CO2, It's a Carbon thing!

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:35 pm

Heheh :) I appreciate your anorakism ;)

Yeah, the fuel computer isn't that accurate is it? I should do some proper calculations when we get back if I can find all the petrol receipts, but for some reason taking the fuel gauge down to the last bar in the Highlands of Scotland isn't appealing to me *grins*

Especially when it's been peeing down with rain all day! Perhaps I could borrow that Anorak... is it waterproof ;)

Seriously though. We're having a fantastic time and I can recommend long distance travel in a second gen Prius any time. Ours is a TSpirit and with the Sat Nav, AC and really comfy seats we've done 980 miles so far in two days!

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

Return to “Hybrid's Corner”