50p radiator mod to increase fuel efficiency.

Own a hybrid? Don't feel left out; heres a little corner just for you.
marktime

Postby marktime » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:30 am

Following yesterday's thread killer :oops:

Here is the promised update from my refill.
Got to 594 miles this morning and the last blob on the fuel gauge was not flashing so there was easily another 50+ miles in the tank. I found unleaded at 114.9p so I was not going to let that get away.

I got 40.04 l (8.8 gals) in to the tank (I have got as much as 45l (almost exactly 10 gals) in the tank before now so that confirms the potential 50 miles remaining) so that gave 67.4 mpg vs 67.2 on the computer. (I know that goes against what I said about the computer being more optimistic but even the refill method has variables, I cannot see down the filler neck to see what level I am filling to so what constitutes a 'full' tank is open to dispute, even if you could work to a fixed point there would still be variation due to any incline on the garage forecourt).

When I calculate pence per mile I use the price I used to fill the tank last time i.e. the cost of the fuel I have just burnt. That was 117.9 p/ l
so that came in at 7.9 pence / mile. (not bad a current prices).

I am overdoing the brackets (must try to cut down) I hope they aid (not hinder) comprehension.

Am I obsessing about the mpg! :lol:

Mark
Soft as Graphite, Hard as Diamond, Black as Coal & clear as CO2, It's a Carbon thing!

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Wow....

I just got back from my mammoth run to Brighton. I did 360 miles all told. Currently I'm at 64.3 mpg. When I was in Slough on the return leg I was at 66.5 mpg, but it went down with poor weather and rush-hour!

Any good?
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

marktime

Postby marktime » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:07 pm

Nikki you are well and truly "in the zone" ("" makes achange from brackets, doh!)

If you have the knack for gettng into the 60's the rest is down to weather and road conditions, and that's just luck :lol:

I think the PHEV upgrade is a good idea I can really see it paying-off in heavy city driving ( I have driven (crawled) in Bristol once or twice) and can see how it could pay-off.
A couple of times I have got stuck in total grid lock traffic jams and you start off thinking "I'm OK, I can go electric" but after creeping a few feet at a time for 40 mins the battery is gone and you end up with the ICE running just to charge the battery :cry:

I don't think the lease co would let me do the upgrade on mine :wink:

Mark
Soft as Graphite, Hard as Diamond, Black as Coal & clear as CO2, It's a Carbon thing!

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:44 pm

Well Mark,

I'd quite like some help if you're interested. I'm going to be starting the PHEV conversion next weekend. SO exciting!

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

marktime

Postby marktime » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:12 pm

Here is the MPG / Pence per mile graph again, should be a bit clearer now.

and this one shows average MPG over a whole year, the upper line is from the onboard computer the lower line is calcualted from miles driven and fuel added.

MarkTime

Return to “Hybrid's Corner”