Energy meter

Do you make your own power ? be it Solar or Wind. Then this is a place for all home energy chat.
qdos

Postby qdos » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:17 am

Ah, better than a photo I've found the website for this box of tricks called the CurrentCost Monitor.

The website for this device

Anyone else got one, or know anything about them?I've plugged the USB port in and needless to say Windurs doesn't recognise it. I'd love to be able to find out what I can do with it via the PC. My immediate thought is that there must be a way of changing the cost per unit of leccy cos how is it going to know when there's a price hike? There may also be a way of recording the data to my PC as it has some sort of on-board data logger to be able to show the night/day/evening power usage.

EVguru

Postby EVguru » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:41 am

It doesn't seem to work on individual power leads. I tried it on the kettle and it didn't work but it's fine on the mains supply to the whole house

The lead to an appliance has two wires (ignoring any earth connection) with the current flowing in opposite directions, so the magnetic field cancels out. If you want to measure individual appliances, make up an extension lead with the leads seperated so you can hook round just one wire. There are some very trick devices that can measure the current in an appliance lead without doing this, but none with a data port that I'm aware of.
Paul

http://www.compton.vispa.com/scirocco/
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.compton.vispa.com/the_named

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:31 am

qdos wrote:Ah, better than a photo I've found the website for this box of tricks called the CurrentCost Monitor.

The website for this device

Anyone else got one, or know anything about them?I've plugged the USB port in and needless to say Windurs doesn't recognise it. I'd love to be able to find out what I can do with it via the PC. My immediate thought is that there must be a way of changing the cost per unit of leccy cos how is it going to know when there's a price hike? There may also be a way of recording the data to my PC as it has some sort of on-board data logger to be able to show the night/day/evening power usage.

Jammy looks like its pretty much like what I paid 60 odd quid for :cry:

They say they are developing software for it so hence why it isnt being seen by windoze yet I suspect :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Tam

Postby Tam » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:00 am

Thanks for the tip on the Maplin meter. I've wanted one of these since seeing them in operation on the Brighton EV Run. Great deal - I've been straight and bought one.

Return to “Home Energy Area”