Proven grid connected 6kW wind turbine

Do you make your own power ? be it Solar or Wind. Then this is a place for all home energy chat.
clnbrtltt

Proven grid connected 6kW wind turbine

Postby clnbrtltt » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:45 pm

We are at the planning stage of installing a wind generator. Hopefully, if there are no objections it should be up and running early next year. Any one else interested in this type of technology?
Colin and Jan

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:05 pm

I also hope to have a wind generator early to mid next year but have no experience. I'm probably going to have a battery storage system and put in some new wiring from the battery bank.

So far I've messed about with PV http://www.technofreak.com/solar

and had solar water heating put in http://www.technofreak.com/solar/solarwater.jpg

Do you have any more details on your wind power project.

Welcome,

Floydster

clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:57 am

Hi Floydster,
Thanks for the response. We have had to apply for planning permission and won't get a response until around the end of November. We originally looked at the windtrap wind turbine kits for lighting outbuildings/ greenhouse etc. but then went to see one in action locally where they also had a Proven 6kW wind turbine installed. The windtrap budget kit was not actually working but the Proven turbine was producing a small amount of electricity even in a very light wind. We live in a very windy position and have plenty of room so decided the larger Proven wind turbine was for us.
The mast is 9metres high and the rotor diameter is 5.5 metres. We will have to put in foundations of 2.5m x 2.5m x 1m. The tower hinges at the base for maintenance. It will be quite costly but is capable of coping with extreme conditions and likely to last around 25 years. We actually looked into wind generation 25 years ago but the cost to us then was prohibitive!
Do have a look at the Scoraig wind turbine site as that is very informative.
We will keep you posted re our progress with the installation. Our closest neighbours (a field away!) have no objections so that's a good start!
Colin and Jan

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:43 pm

I know you said you where after a 4 seater well theres this

http://batteryvehiclesociety.myfreeforu ... 17.php#117

That I found which apparently has had a 4 seat conversion

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

clnbrtltt

Update on Proven 6kW wind turbine

Postby clnbrtltt » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:57 pm

So much for local government!
We heard today that our small Parish Council has objected to our application for a small scale wind turbine. This will at best delay it for a month or two.
We rang the Parish Clerk to ask her for the names of our councillors and she was very reluctant to give the names and then stated that we were not allowed to contact any of them. It appears that there is a full commitee meeting late December / early January and our application will be discussed there and we are allowed to attend.
As residents of this Parish for over 25 years, we are both (to put it mildly) unhappy with this state of affairs.
We do know that there has been an application for 2 large commercial wind turbines which has been refused and is going through all the appeals.

It seems to me that our application has been objected to simply because the Parish Council is against the commercial wind farm and in consequence against anything that has "wind turbine" in the title!

We are very disappointed. Now that global warming is at last an accepted fact, how are we ever going to deal with it if even small scale microgeneration is objected to?
We live in the countryside and have plenty of room to site our turbine in our field. None of our closest neighbours have objected, in fact they have been supportive.
We will fight on but why does it have to be a fight?

More to follow - when we have any more information.
Jan and Colin

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:28 am

Cant believe that , how small minded can they get :evil:

I must admit I thought they where about to relax the rules governing small home wind gennys :? and planning permission wasnt going to be required ??

ChrisB

clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:22 pm

We have been busy phoning various people etc. re our planning application. Our case planning officer in our Borough Council (who has been supportive) has verbally furnished us with our Parish Council's main objection.
It appears that our wind turbine is "intervisible". From what we can make out it is a geographical term meaning that when you look at contour lines on an OS map, you can see from one point to another (surprise!). ie. our turbine will be able to be seen by another turbine on another hill BUT not necessarily by someone standing on the ground!!!
Are you with me so far??
No-one has actually explained the relevance of this to our planning application!
That's it so far.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:08 pm

What a load of tosh.

Right I would say look at who you might have upset in the past :?

How they (one person) can take the time and energy to find some small quibbley little thing like that is beyond me. :evil:

I do wonder if you have rubbed someone in the council up the wrong way in the past, may be you've never realised it :? and they saw your name on the app and thought "I'll get you"

Well hope you are able to get some sort of thing sorted , keep us informed we will be reading with interest.

ChrisB

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:17 pm

That sucks!!

All you see in the news these days is Iraq or climate change. So how can anyone be discouraged from doing what this government's saying we should all be doing? Stupid outdated regulations.

Floydster

clnbrtltt

Update on Proven 6kW wind turbine

Postby clnbrtltt » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:23 am

Hi again,
There was a routine planning meeting in our village hall so we went armed with a letter for each of our parish Councillors. The letter covered all aspects that we felt they should know about but was in no way confrontational or derogatory. Although prior to this meeting, we had been told we could not speak to any of them, they were willing to discuss our application informally but reminded us that they had already objected in writing.
They appeared to think that our application was not for a domestic wind turbine because of it's size and also that it was grid connected. We respectfully explained that microgeneration covered grid connected turbines up to 15kW and, according to the government, was to be encouraged by planning authorities.
A spokesman for them said that they realised our turbine would not be intrusive or even seen from most locations BUT they were afraid that if they agreed to ours then many more applications would follow!
They were also under the impression that we were doing it for the profit we would make so again we respectfully told them that we did not expect to break even in much less than 15 years but were doing it to help safeguard the planet for future generations.

We will now compile another letter and forward this to our planning officer ready for the full planning meeting of the Borough Council in January.

Return to “Home Energy Area”